• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Whats the next big thing we need in lawncare.

dmc456

LawnSite Senior Member
Location
Anderson, IN
Didn't really see anything that was that innovative at the Expo.

What is the next big thing that you want to see in the lawn business?

Aerators, seeders, mowers, etc...???
 

Az Gardener

LawnSite Gold Member
Location
Phoenix, Az
I want to see an irrigation controller that will self program based on needs that is sensor driven (not weather station) that is fool proof, simple to operate and affordable, less than $ 300 for a 6-12 station homeowner model. I made the mistake of jumping in too early on the fertigation bandwagon(15 years ago) and have done a lot of R&D at my expense for the fertigation companies. I don't want to make the same mistake again. So I wait patiently. IA is here this year (in Nov.) so I will see whats new.
 

iluvscag

LawnSite Senior Member
Location
Pizza Hut
Ride on slit seeder.
 

hole in one lco

LawnSite Bronze Member
Location
rocky river ohio
well i have a buddy that helps with the big jobs and every time i ask him what we need he says MEXICANS LOTS OF MEXICANS:) :D I laugh every time
 

cantoo

LawnSite Silver Member
Location
Ontario, Canada
I've been planning to build this for years but have never done it yet.
I want to take the bin off my Walker GHS and mount a small wood chipper on the back. The grass and leaves would be sucked up and go thru the chipper chopping them into little bits. Then they would be "blown" back onto the lawn. If this machine was used every week in the fall I don't think a real leaf clean up would have to be done other than blowing out the beds. This machine would also work good for extreme growth in the spring. I don't understand why something like this isn't already available.
Maybe this winter.
 

Tight Angles

LawnSite Senior Member
Location
Plymouth, MI
an edger that attaches to the mower so you can just ride up and down the sidewalk and street instead of walking.
 

JimLewis

LawnSite Fanatic
Location
Beaverton, OR
cantoo said:
I've been planning to build this for years but have never done it yet.
I want to take the bin off my Walker GHS and mount a small wood chipper on the back. The grass and leaves would be sucked up and go thru the chipper chopping them into little bits. Then they would be "blown" back onto the lawn. If this machine was used every week in the fall I don't think a real leaf clean up would have to be done other than blowing out the beds. This machine would also work good for extreme growth in the spring. I don't understand why something like this isn't already available.
Maybe this winter.
So as far as results go, how is this different than a really good twin-blade mulching machine?
 

PLM-1

LawnSite Bronze Member
Location
Joplin MO
Tight Angles said:
an edger that attaches to the mower so you can just ride up and down the sidewalk and street instead of walking.
Grasshopper and i believe Walker has one too....
 

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
dmc456 said:
Didn't really see anything that was that innovative at the Expo.

What is the next big thing that you want to see in the lawn business?

Aerators, seeders, mowers, etc...???
A self-propelled spreader would rule! Omg I can still feel myself pushing 100 pounds of chemical around... This would need a variable speed design of up to 7 mph, maybe 8 (Yeah because when the chute is wide open you gotta MOVE!)... On that note, some research into materials which do not corrode as quickly with today's fertilizers would be nice.

.....................
FASTER, LIGHTER Wb's! 6+ mph is great in the turns but bs on large straight-aways, I want a Wb so fast it SCARES me to drive it. 300 pounds on my 48" is certainly not as bad as the old 500 pounders, but I want a Wb so LIGHT I can push it up the trailer ramp without a hernia. On that note, a slightly larger wheel-base for the rear tires ought to help improve the Wb's tendency to want to 2-wheel in the turns.

A 6-speed Tecumseh transmission AND an improved Reverse drive.

Better fuel-efficiency... The Wb isn't too bad but the backpack blowers eat a TON of fuel at WOT... Regardless, it all could use improvement.

I think fuel-injection is in order... Carburetion is 20th century technology.

..............................
MORE clip-on / quick-release parts AND get rid of the pita BS that's been around for 5 and 10 years such as the plastic deck bolts that strip all the time and cost 3 bucks each to replace.
..............................
A GRAND nationwide advertising / informational campaign covering 'current labor rates.'
 
Top