Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Growing my business, I am pondering why would I spend $800 max. on a good 21'' mower when I know I'll need a 36'' later. Wouldn't you guys just go ahead and get a quick 36''? I mean I can't justify paying $800 for a 21'' that I know I will just phase out sooner or later. And I know you can find a decent mower here for under $800, but still it is a 21''. I mean com'mon', do you no what I mean. I mean what is the point of a 21'', if you can't fit a 36'' through somthing just weedeat it-it's faster than pushun' a 21'' around.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
No blanket statement applies to the question. We run a 21" hand mower all the time, perhaps 35 hours per week. Every LCO trailer in my area has at least one 21" good commercial hand mower, some trailers have three (along with one w/b, or one ZTR).

To answer the question, what is the point of a 21" mower: To provide lawn service to customers that need the use of a 21" hand mower, so that the cash flow continues.

523 Posts
I use my 21 a lot. I am glade that I got a good one too!!

I have a 1/4 acre yard that has 3 gates and all of them are realy small. I would say they are 26 " gates !!
PS this was a yard that I looked at and priced to do a little landscaping and clean up . Then she passed on it. After a few weeks she called me back asking If I could mow it (LOL I gave her a price over the phone since I already looked at the job)
LOL you should had seen my face when I was heading to the gate with my rider!!!!:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I have both a 32" WB and a 21". Both have been purchased new in 2008.

The 21" came first, followed by the 32".

I thought when I bought the 32", the 21" would just collect dust. I was wrong.

We have yards that are unaccessible to a 32". We have one that has a small opening to get up a hill, the rest is all retaining wall, no access for a 32. We have a few small backyards/front yards that are quicker to zip through with the 21". The 21" is a great tool for any business.

I purchased a Toro Pro-Line this year, after running the homeowner model "Super Recycler" for two seasons. The homeowner piece was a great machine, but did not hold up. The Pro-Line is a tank, and its worth the $ IMO. Most of the big companies around here have Pro-Lines, and the crews beat them to death, but they still stand up to it. BTW, I paid right around $1100 for the Pro-Line, and right and the Super Recycler retails somewhere around $515.

-Mitch-

·
Super Moderator
4,331 Posts
the mowing deck size is in no proportion to amount of money made, remember that

Ive got yards i dont use anything but a 21" on and make 75/hr

Also have 30/hr yard that i use a 50 inch chopper on,

Where would you spend your hour????...

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
You need to get whatever your accounts call for. The lots got so small around here, that I now run mostly 21's. Use it a little, then a cheap one will do. Use it alot, as I do, and the money for commercial grade is far worth it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
You need to get whatever your accounts call for. The lots got so small around here, that I now run mostly 21's. Use it a little, then a cheap one will do. Use it alot, as I do, and the money for commercial grade is far worth it.
I totally agree. A 21" for an LCO is like a small chainsaw for a lumberjack. May not need it everyday, but when you need it, you need it.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
We dont own one and havent owned one in over 20 years. If our 34Z doesnt fit or its to steep for our 60" Z then we dont want it. Then again we are in an area that doesnt have a whole lot of hills and most lawns dont have gates. There are to many variables to your question and the answer can swing both ways.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Growing my business, I am pondering why would I spend $800 max. on a good 21'' mower when I know I'll need a 36'' later. Wouldn't you guys just go ahead and get a quick 36''? I mean I can't justify paying $800 for a 21'' that I know I will just phase out sooner or later. And I know you can find a decent mower here for under $800, but still it is a 21''. I mean com'mon', do you no what I mean. I mean what is the point of a 21'', if you can't fit a 36'' through somthing just weedeat it-it's faster than pushun' a 21'' around.
And the 21" will leave the yard looking better than the trimmer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i love my 21" honda i have had it for a couple of years and i only used it for my home. This is my first year in the business and i am so glad that i have it. I have about 3 yards that i have to use it to get in and out of the gates a 36" would be good and proboly more usefull (I want one) but the back yards are so small that i wouldnt even be saving much time but i already had mune and if i was to pay $800 i would get a 32"-36" for that price deff.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
I agree with most here....I like my 21" too much to let sit. What I like about mine vs. the Quick 36 is that it a bit more nimble in tight spaces - easy to maniupulate. Rather than trying to wedge a Quick in a corner, slip the 21er in there.

I do find it very hard to justify the outrageous pricing on some of these commercial units though. $1,200 for a 21"?!?!? Unless you beat on em day in/day out, save some $ and go with other units.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.