1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

whats the right mower for me?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Oct 7, 2004.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

Right now I have about 22 customers and mow about 25-28 a week, from 2x a week customers and people that call for one time only. Next year I am hoping to add another 8 customers or so. I currently have a 48" walkbehind belt drive with a sulky. It takes me about 15-25 minutes to mow a lawn depending on the size. And then about 5-8 to trim and then 3-5 to blow off. I am in the market for a used mower. I am not sure what is the best style mower and size is. My lawns average from .3 acre to .8 acre. I have used a ztr and like them very much however I find it takes longer to turn around b/c you have to do a 3 point turn, unlike a walk behind. I also like them b/c they have a very quick, fast, and easy height adjustment for the cutting height. The reason's I like the w/b's are because they handle hills a little better. Don't tear up turf as much espically in the spring. Do you think a 52 w/b hydo, 52 ztr, or 61 ztr would serve me the best?

2. progolferjoe72

progolferjoe72 LawnSite Member

i would go with a 60" flatlander dixie chopper. Or any dc would be good. possibly a 72 instead, it would be a heck of alot quicker. Demo some dc's out, and see if you like any.

3. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Demo a bunch of different machines, find out what best suits your needs and get it. It does not have to be a dixie chopper... Personally I would go with a John Deere but that is just my opinion. If you bag a lot of your lawns you might want to look into a walker. otherwise a larger walk behind or a stander might work pretty well in your situation.

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well you know what I will stay you need. A 52" Wright stander. Faster than walkbehind, less damage than a ZTR. I love mine. I got my first one when I was 16.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Look at a 52" or 60" Dixie Chopper or Grasshopper. Both are great mowers. Demo several and get the one that does the best job for you.

6. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I also think a Stander would be a good choice because you won't need a Velke for it and they are small compared to other walk behinds. Also to consider, you already have a mower so buying a new one will now give you over head...