Whats the speed you prefer when doing lawn care applications

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Mr Efficiency, May 9, 2018.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency LawnSite Senior Member

There are many diffrent spreader sprayer machines are out on the market now.

Some go as fast as 8 mph but are your applications done properly and evenly, even the small areas on large lawns at that speed 8 mph, seems a bit too fast? I know changing the speed you need to change calibration, the hopper opening size, spray nozzles, pressure or amount of concentrate added to your spray solution.
    Too much variable speed can cost you a lot of money over time in wasted materials or not applying the right amount of products.

The question is, what is the best speed you find being the most efficient speed, 3.5, 5, 6.5 or 8 mph to do applications??

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  2. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

My T is set at 5 mph. I find that speed fine for most lawns. Would I like it to be faster for the real large lawns, maybe but no faster than 6 mph and like efficiency says I would need another calibration for that speed. I know my calibration at this speed and that works for me.

wjjones and Mr Efficiency like this.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Back in the day--wide open--in my case about 4 mph. PG Ultra.

Mr Efficiency and ted putnam like this.
  4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Fanatic

I was thinking Full Blast
    It means the same thing in Arkansas that Wide Open means in Michigan :laugh:

wjjones and Mr Efficiency like this.
  5. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Bronze Member

I calibrate my Exmark for wide open, which is 5.2 mph in the manual.

It's proved accurate for my measurements. I do wish it went faster while traveling though.

Mr Efficiency likes this.
  6. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I like 3,5 to 4 mph tops! I believe you get a more uniform application at lower speed. I do all my ground logic apps in low 1st gear. 2nd gear is handy to zip back to the truck for reload. When i use the sitrex pto spreader on the Kubota, i set the cruise control @ 4 mph, the AC on low and usually the song remains the same in the cd player.

7. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never tried a geared ride on, with the hydro on my Exmark anything under full speed is really just guesswork.

8. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

As fast as possible . Why spend ten minutes doing something you can finish in two?

If the customer isn't home just leave a bill. This is lawn care not brain science.

9. Miller5862

Miller5862 LawnSite Member

Im not in a application field but with your logic a quad with the applicator attachment pull behind would be what everyone uses but im pretty sure that you need to apply so much of application every lets say square foot to actually be effective. So i think what op was asking is how fast he can go to get that but no one here would know without knowing his equipment and application being spread. Otherwise get a banshee and fly across the yard.

Mr Efficiency and Babaganoosh like this.
  10. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh LawnSite Member

[QUOTE="Miller5862, post: 5819752, member: 198534"Otherwise get a banshee and fly across the yard.[/QUOTE]

Lol