Lawn Care Forum banner

whats the word around here about Husquvarna ZTR's?

6K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  JimQ 
#1 ·
The dealer up the street sells them - and Scag and Great dane - and he has a very low hour, around 5 total, demo I can buy at a good price. It is the large frame with 30 HP Kohler and the new Tunnel Force deck. I demoed it and liked it except for a few things, mainly blowout on the front of the deck, but I understand there is a new baffle to go in there to stop the blowout?

I currently have a Scag and it has been a good mower but not really any better than the Toro or Bobcats I used to run.

Any feedback would be helpful.

#27 ·
Q, We had an issue with the brake switch in the past. Is there a waterproof cover for the plunger switch or something that would be retrofitable. I've been working with my dealer on fixing quite a few of the issues mentioned above, and am glad you guys are trying to fix some of these things.

Hopefully you guys get this stuff figured out for 2010 as I really enjoy doing business with my dealer as he is a great guy and I really like the 5 yr warranty (which can't be good for you with all of these problems.)

#28 ·
ok problems with the seat the welds break on the internal suspension i have replaced 2 under warranty and welded at least 3

the seat switch wire gets yanked when the operator lifts the seat it not only pulls out the switch put ruins the connector witch has to be plugged all the way in to work because of the safety built into it. i know it the operator fault but it happens alot

break switch comes lose because it snaps into place with plasic tabs that wear out it has been replaced by a bolt on version

the anti scalp wheels are 1/2" bolts they shear off i was replacing at least 3 bolts every day till i replaced the bolts with spanner bushings

the yoke spindle bearing caps are domed and get knocked off easly if you look at an exmark they use a flat cover i would grease them once a year and never have an issue

i really hope the next generation rider has less flaws i dont think the lz is a bad mower i was trying to be breif and was only talking about the cronic problems i encountered. down time is a killer in are buisness and that is why i replace equipment when it reaches 2 years i really expect a new mower not to be need much other than maintance. i will say that husqvarna has quickly addressed problems with real solutions and that of the 8 diffrent products that i have from husqvarna the rider is the only one that hasnt lived up to my expectations thank you for addressing my problems

#29 ·
I have a husquvarna 61" 24Hp and it is a great mower. Stripes amazingly and no problems with it. Just make sure you get a warranty. Someone has to be buying them if they are still selling them and i have not seen many used ones for sale other than mine since i am moving to more powerful mowers.

#30 ·
the seat switch wire gets yanked when the operator lifts the seat it not only pulls out the switch put ruins the connector witch has to be plugged all the way in to work because of the safety built into it. i know it the operator fault but it happens alot
Paul, that sure doens't sound like the operators fault to me, (unless he is wrapping the wire around his hand and yanking, hoping for an extra sandwich break! :laugh:)

I'd like a chance to talk to you and get more specifics regarding the problems you've had. I just want to make sure I completly understand the issues and see if there is anything I can do to help out.

Since you're new to the group, I can't PM you, so I'll just throw it out there...

I'd sure apreciate it if you would give me a call some time. You can catch me at my desk any time between 8AM - 5PM CST: (402) 223-1000 ext 2012. My name is Jim. Thanks Paul.

Q

#33 ·
ok i used one of these and i also owned a yazoo (perty much same unit) i will tell u this compaired to a scag its a toy, i do say its a good mower but nothing like a scag hustler or exmark. my real big issue with the mower was every time i used it i was uncomfortable on it. just something with the way you sat on it or something, that was my big issue with it and the brake switch was bad.. it did cut nice for me buteven after popping on a suspension seat and still no better feel to the seating or ride i sold it...
i will add this though, i like there 326 trimmer alot. lightest one by far.

#34 ·
Paul, that sure doens't sound like the operators fault to me, (unless he is wrapping the wire around his hand and yanking, hoping for an extra sandwich break! :laugh:)

I'd like a chance to talk to you and get more specifics regarding the problems you've had. I just want to make sure I completly understand the issues and see if there is anything I can do to help out.

Since you're new to the group, I can't PM you, so I'll just throw it out there...

I'd sure apreciate it if you would give me a call some time. You can catch me at my desk any time between 8AM - 5PM CST: (402) 223-1000 ext 2012. My name is Jim. Thanks Paul.

Q
wow how many manufacturers give you a r and d techs number. thats pretty snazzy

#35 ·
ok i used one of these and i also owned a yazoo (perty much same unit) i will tell u this compaired to a scag its a toy, i do say its a good mower but nothing like a scag hustler or exmark. my real big issue with the mower was every time i used it i was uncomfortable on it. just something with the way you sat on it or something, that was my big issue with it and the brake switch was bad.. it did cut nice for me buteven after popping on a suspension seat and still no better feel to the seating or ride i sold it...
i will add this though, i like there 326 trimmer alot. lightest one by far.
my guys love the 326 trimmers and edgers very light and comfortable

i have heard that about the rider being uncomfortable they say you have to push with feet to stay in the seat when you go fast and that the angle your feet are at make it hard and you end up getting tired hopeful the next gen will fix this problem too.

#36 ·
Hey Paul,

In your earlier post, you mention the seat hinge cracks. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this one. Would you please elaborate. Where exactly have you had cracks develop? I'll post a couple pictures to make it easier to describe. Thanks again for your help.

Aircraft Military helicopter Vehicle Helicopter Airplane

Triangle Rectangle Gas Sky Automotive exterior

Q

Aircraft Military helicopter Vehicle Helicopter Airplane

Triangle Rectangle Gas Sky Automotive exterior

#37 ·
Thanks for the call Paul.

I think we got to the bottom of this one. ( for those who actually care...:laugh:)

The root cause of several of issues mentioned above is a seat lanyard failure.

It goes something like this.

The seat is tipped forward, the lanyard fails.

The seat continues to "over-travel" forward. This causes the seat switch wires to pull. (causing the above mentioned seat switch and wiring issues)

The seat pan now stops against the hinge brackets that are bolted to the chassis instead of the lanyard.

Flip the seat forward a few more times and the bracket begins to bend, then ultimately crack/tear.

Gotta go. I've got something to look into. :gunsfirin

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.