Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. I wan't to try and look decent/professional but not sweat to death. So on youtube and such I always see these guys in Khakis and Polos. My residence has been having HVAC issues over the years and it seems even those guys are wearing this getup. Is this some kind of professional joke or something? I'm near Austin, TX, USA (103F peak in the summer) and it's hot. Even in shorts, going outside I just start to sweat. I've been mowing in shin high slip on boots, grey shin high socks, long leg support pouch sweat wicking boxers, jeans, whatever shirt I feel like, neck gator, sun hat with flap in back, tinted Magid glasses, also I use gloves. In about 2hrs, my socks, boxers, gloves are sweat soaked through. Jeans fairly soaked all around the pelvis area... Does not look good, at least they're dark colored. I'm not sure on long or short sleeve shirts. Wind on your arms or blocking that and the sun.

Should I try out shorts? I head stuff will hit your legs. I've had stuff hit my face several times but the gator helps a fair amount I think. Long or short sleeve shirts? How should I change my getup? I've also been meaning to buy new shoes of some kind. I wonder how bad shorts and my long grey socks will look, if I ditch the long boots. (Boots will rub calfs raw)

Thanks,
Higgins909

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
I'm not in Texas but I'm always in shorts as long as its above freezing. And then usually safety yellow or blaze orange wicking/quick dry t-shirts.

I couldn't imagine wearing jeans in serious heat. Yes when trimming stuff hits my shins but the slight pain I'll take over internal meltdowns.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I'm not in Texas but I'm always in shorts as long as its above freezing. And then usually safety yellow or blaze orange wicking/quick dry t-shirts.

I couldn't imagine wearing jeans in serious heat. Yes when trimming stuff hits my shins but the slight pain I'll take over internal meltdowns.
Double that, khaki cargo shorts and safety yellow long sleeve dry wick👍

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Double that, khaki cargo shorts and safety yellow long sleeve dry wick👍
Do you have a particular brand? I bought Dickies 13" loose fit multi pocket work short a while back. Strange material. The loose fit was way too loose in the legs. Wearable but looks really bad on me... I know some people that have these Dickies cargo shorts that are almost denim like but not. Some khaki other dark grey. Looking on their website I'm not sure which one it could be.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
There is an argument that long sleeve shirts are better in the heat as it prevents too much evaporation. I just drink plenty of fluids.
I’ve gone from shorts and tshirts to bibs and long sleeves and just feel better at the end of the day when I’m covered up. Definitely drink lots of water tho, which means lots of restroom breaks- so that’s something to consider if you are in an open trailer setup.

·
Premium Member
8,859 Posts
We were at 92 degrees today a little hot a little early. But heat indexes in the 110 give or take is common. Humidity here is killer. I used to wear a landsend long sleeve work wear button up while spraying lawns for my first 5 or so years. Nice embroidery logo. No more. I have logo T shirts with front pocket (ya know so I don't look cheap LOL) Too damn hot for long sleeve. I do wear jeans daily and boots. I'd look like swamp arse if I was wearing kahki pants or the like. I'm dripping in sweat from mixing and loading before the truck even pulls off for the first job in the summer.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I would of never worn long sleeves yrs ago as it looks like it must be so hot.

A few yrsbago I got a fishing shirt at Walmart. Very light and thin. SPF50. Long sleeves. I was so happy wearing it fishing that I tried it mowing. Much more comfy then a normal t-shirt. Keeping the sun off me is great. I wear a large floppy hat and shorts. My legs get covered in grass trimming, but much more comfy then pants.

·
Premium Member
8,859 Posts
I've used the pop up hat for going on my 2nd year. Really like it. My previous favorite were straw cowboy style. The pop up has a large brim, very light weight, lots of air holes for cooling. I have the camo one. It will roll back up to the size of a small saucer.

·
Premium Member
8,859 Posts
I ordered a dozen new ones this year which works out about right. Laundry 2x a week for mow and spray clothes.

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
First mistake is wearing jeans. I have a half dozen pairs of these. Light. Stretchy. Not too tight. Stay put. Keeping skin covered is better than bare skin frying in the sunlight. I wear long sleeve polyester shirts too. I have various colors. I decided to learn how to screenprint and put my logo on a bunch and some hoodies in my kitchen.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wrangler-Men-s-Outdoor-Zip-Cargo-Pant/853164485

1 - 20 of 53 Posts