Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
I've come to be fond of the stretch jeans that come from old navy. Boot cut. Lightweight and yes the stretch. Not like a heavy pair of Levi's.
They also go on sale a lot for around $20 a pair. I stock up when they do.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I'm wearing exactly the same thing I've been wearing since 2010

Black poly running shorts that weigh next to nothing and keep my Oaknuts cool.
I'd kill myself if I had to wear any sort of long pants to do this, let alone jeans. OMG.

My shirts are (short sleeve) "moisture wicking" poly - the kind with the little pinholes. I love that they are light and they dry fast if they get wet. (rain or sweat) They are loose-fitting - not those skin-tight athletic fit things. Neon yellow - will show dirt, but doesn't show sweat like darker colors do.
I'm actually seeking new shirts. They don't make mine any more.

"No show" socks (can't be getting dorky tan lines!) and hiking/running shoes.

I wear a "wide" brim hat if it's sunny, or a ball cap.
A "helmet liner"/skull cap worn under my hat helps to absorb sweat, keeping it from running down onto my face.

If I ever need to do any heavy trimming, or know I'll be trimming where poison ivy lives, I keep a pair of elastic waist, pull-on pants (some sort of poly basketball (?) pants or something) in the truck that I throw on over my shorts for the duration of the job, then rip those suckers off as fast as I can when finished. Yeah, baby, yeah! The only problem is the ladies stuffing dollar bills in my shorts and whistling at me. Animals!

So there you go. Everything you never wanted to know about OakNut's work attire.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm usually in knockoff carhart work pants. I'm open to other suggestions. Somtimes lighter weight cotton work pants - like dickies or similar.

Standard crew socks.

Timberland hiking boots. This particular flavor is lightweight, supportive & very comfortable. Pretty good traction for hillsides too.

Shirts are either poly-ish polos, or orange tee's from Stihl. (I'm kind of a Stihl junkie, and I wanted something hi-viz for when I'm near traffic.) Cooler temps, it's a long sleeve T-shirt.

I'm wearing neck gaiters this year to help with dust & spring time allergies. (Tree pollens mainly.) The gaiters seem to be helping.

I have some lightweight brim-hat too that I'll wear when the sun gets really intense.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
2 pair gold toe crew socks every day. Been doing that for a decade or longer. Yes I double them up. No blisters ever.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I need some help. I wan't to try and look decent/professional but not sweat to death. So on youtube and such I always see these guys in Khakis and Polos. My residence has been having HVAC issues over the years and it seems even those guys are wearing this getup. Is this some kind of professional joke or something? I'm near Austin, TX, USA (103F peak in the summer) and it's hot. Even in shorts, going outside I just start to sweat. I've been mowing in shin high slip on boots, grey shin high socks, long leg support pouch sweat wicking boxers, jeans, whatever shirt I feel like, neck gator, sun hat with flap in back, tinted Magid glasses, also I use gloves. In about 2hrs, my socks, boxers, gloves are sweat soaked through. Jeans fairly soaked all around the pelvis area... Does not look good, at least they're dark colored. I'm not sure on long or short sleeve shirts. Wind on your arms or blocking that and the sun.

Should I try out shorts? I head stuff will hit your legs. I've had stuff hit my face several times but the gator helps a fair amount I think. Long or short sleeve shirts? How should I change my getup? I've also been meaning to buy new shoes of some kind. I wonder how bad shorts and my long grey socks will look, if I ditch the long boots. (Boots will rub calfs raw)

Thanks,
Higgins909
Im in the Orlando area. Im currently wearing some Lee brand cargo pants (from kohl's if memory serves me correctly) and the long sleeve workout type shirts (think under armor or simliar) and a t-shirt with the company name and phone number on it. I also tend to wear a neck gator to at least help keep the sun off the neck. and a sun hat. I feel you with the heat as it gets like 98-115F in the peak of summer with what feels like 300% humidity.. I tend to think that the long sleeve workout shirt and cargo pants ( or at least something not jeans) seem to be not as hot as the jeans. but I've done jeans as well and it seems to look like I just jumped in someone's pool even though I just got out of my truck like 2 minutes ago.:ROFLMAO:
but ultimately I think it comes down to what works for you best and helps you be the most comfortable, while also trying to stay safe from the sun and the crap/dirt/grass that get kicks up.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
I will still never understand how my Hispanic brothers do what they do... Completely wrap up head to toe when it's 110 in the shade. Long sleeve, gator, jeans, gloves. I did try this one or two days and am lucky I didn't pass out from a heat stroke. The guys I've talked to swear it's cooler. It wasn't for me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I will still never understand how my Hispanic brothers do what they do... Completely wrap up head to toe when it's 110 in the shade. Long sleeve, gator, jeans, gloves. I did try this one or two days and am lucky I didn't pass out from a heat stroke. The guys I've talked to swear it's cooler. It wasn't for me.
true, it does take some adjusting to get used to it. it also helps me with halloween as I can just put on some shorts and a tshirt and I can give casper the ghost a run for his money in terms of who is whiter...lol 🤣😂

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Yeah, I keep all sorts of extra clothes in the truck in the cooler months - long sleeve "fishing T-shirts", several different weights of "denim" shirts, flannel hooded shirt/jackets... no matter what I wear, I start getting hot, even when it's 50 degrees. I have to swap out whatever I'm wearing over my T shirt because it just makes me hot. Eventually, I get to the lightest item, and THAT is too hot, so I end up just wearing a T-shirt when everyone else looks like they are bundled up for a snowstorm.

Long pants and long sleeves just make me feel "smothered" and uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I've come to be fond of the stretch jeans that come from old navy. Boot cut. Lightweight and yes the stretch. Not like a heavy pair of Levi's.
They also go on sale a lot for around $20 a pair. I stock up when they do.
Love me a good pair of stretchy jeans!! I don’t feel guilty after leaving the all you can eat Chinese buffets!! I’m all about comfort brother !

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im with you. I like to look as professional as possible. But im not wearing polos. I had some 100% Cotton tees made with my company logo on them. I did olive drab green and some woodland brown i think is what it was called.

As far as pants, I get khaki dickies relaxed fit cargo pants with flex technology and george cargo shorts from walmart. They are thin and cheap but hold up really well.

Shoes i wear Kujo Yardwear. I was hesitant about buying these, but so far i am happy. They hold up good. Water resistant, breathable and grip really really well on steeper hills weedeating etc.

The heat is real. Sometimes got to get with and work. No real way to avoid it. Water Water Water.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I like the idea of shorts, but how on earth do you all put up with debris from string trimming when wearing shorts?
Same here. I've tried shorts, but I just can't handle all that junk stuck to my legs, plus I get a lot more stuff in my boots. I wear some light khaki work pants from Tractor Supply (Blue Mountain I think is the brand). I'll be trying the long sleeve, sweat wicking shirts before long, to see if I like them better than the cotton T-shirts I normally wear.

It's interesting to read the varieties of clothes folks like to wear when working. It's like a truck seat.... what works for one person doesn't work for others.

I spent years working in the Texas/Oklahoma oilfields and got used to sweating my tail off in 100 degree heat wearing FR clothing and hardhat and respirator. Going back to doing this lawn care business is so nice, since I get to choose what I wear.

I'll be watching this thread for more ideas.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Im with you. I like to look as professional as possible. But im not wearing polos. I had some 100% Cotton tees made with my company logo on them. I did olive drab green and some woodland brown i think is what it was called.

As far as pants, I get khaki dickies relaxed fit cargo pants with flex technology and george cargo shorts from walmart. They are thin and cheap but hold up really well.

Shoes i wear Kujo Yardwear. I was hesitant about buying these, but so far i am happy. They hold up good. Water resistant, breathable and grip really really well on steeper hills weedeating etc.

The heat is real. Sometimes got to get with and work. No real way to avoid it. Water Water Water.
howlong have you had the kujos? I seem to go through a pair of hiking books ( several brands now but always-gortex liner, soft toe, mid height) in a season. Always look like I slipped in a wood chipper by fall.

·
Registered
408 Posts
There is an argument that long sleeve shirts are better in the heat as it prevents too much evaporation. I just drink plenty of fluids.
I’ve switched to loose but not sloppy, light fabric, long sleeve button downs. I got my inspiration from the drywallers I worked around. They always looked sharp even covered in drywall dust. I got a big funny straw hat, too like I see the road workers wearing. Yesterday was 95*, on white concrete by a pool. While it was hot, it was better than having the sun cook my skin.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I like the idea of shorts, but how on earth do you all put up with debris from string trimming when wearing shorts?
If you're getting dirty, you're working too hard. :p

I trim so the stuff is flying away from me. I also don't do any heavy trimming - just weekly maintained lawns with minimal trimming.
What gets on my legs can be easily brushed off at the end of each job.
Flying stones will nick your shins up real quick, but that's not common where I'm trimming, so I just deal with the occasional hit - wince, and carry on.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I spent years working in the Texas/Oklahoma oilfields and got used to sweating my tail off in 100 degree heat wearing FR clothing and hardhat and respirator. Going back to doing this lawn care business is so nice, since I get to choose what I wear.
I haven't worked in the oil fields - sounds brutal - but 15 years or so in hot factories, has acclimated me to being "hot." Granted, inside a factory, we don't have the beaming sun, but we also don't get cool breezes either.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I haven't worked in the oil fields - sounds brutal - but 15 years or so in hot factories, has acclimated me to being "hot." Granted, inside a factory, we don't have the beaming sun, but we also don't get cool breezes either.
I can't stand not having air. That's one thing about the heat down here... it's dry and the wind is always blowing, so if you can keep water handy to pour on your head, shirt, neck gaiter, etc, you can kinda stay cool. Being in a hot factory with no air moving would be torture for me.

Before the oilfield, I worked at a small daily newspaper. I worked mostly in the back, running the press, the insert machine, etc. It was a very physical job, but we had A/C and fans, so it wasn't bad.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts