Lawn Care Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm gonna plug USA made round-house jeans again. They have held up for years, and the only reason why I buy new pairs is usually because they become really faded. Their carpenter jeans are very roomy, but they are 100% cotton, so there's no stretch. I wear jeans, thin wool socks, and 6'' thorogood boots when I'm working.

·
Registered
381 Posts
First mistake is wearing jeans. I have a half dozen pairs of these. Light. Stretchy. Not too tight. Stay put. Keeping skin covered is better than bare skin frying in the sunlight. I wear long sleeve polyester shirts too. I have various colors. I decided to learn how to screenprint and put my logo on a bunch and some hoodies in my kitchen.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wrangler-Men-s-Outdoor-Zip-Cargo-Pant/853164485

The long sleeves that you posted have you seen them with a hood? I’m looking for those right now if anyone knows of where to get them.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
The long sleeves that you posted have you seen them with a hood? I’m looking for those right now if anyone knows of where to get them.
Look on that website, their maybe something in the "baseball" gear. I know Lowe's started carrying some fishing shirts. They have some thin poly hoodies on the rack. Finntech is the name of them.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Costco stretch jeans in cooler months with lots of layers to peel off as it warms. Cargo shorts and flip flops for 18 years. T-shirts with company info front and back but after many years and too much sun damage thinking of looking into these long sleeve wonder shirts you all are talking about. Saftey sunglasses. Straw cowboy hat you know in case I need to rope a doggy while out.

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
Check out "Devops" brand at Amazon. They have loose as well as compression wear both w/ SPF50 and in a variety of colors. My white arms from last year are proof they work. These are very affordable, too.

IME/O, covering up is FAR cooler than the sun hitting my skin/hair. I'd have never believed this until one blistering day I switched from a full-coverage hat w/ a neck drape on it to wearing a simple visor. My head got incredibly hot in short order. Have worn long sleeves ever since...the next step was to achieve an SPF factor since my skin never liked any kind of a topical lotion/cream/oil.

Reactions: MILLC and hort101

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used to use shorts only all summer. Legs took a beating but I couldn't handle the jeans in the heat. Then my property got bought buy a company Osha actually knows exist so I had to go with jeans. I will say I've adjusted mostly but over 90 here in NY I switch back, since it's normally a day or two then gone. Echo makes a good shin guard for weedeating as well.

I've been wearing polos for a long time with dry fit type material. Then I became allergic to every sunscreen I try. So I switched up to the long sleeve shirts previously mentioned from Walmart. Though the sams club ones a cheaper right now. (Originally $25, currently $12.) I also just picked up some compression sleeves so I don't have to buy so many long sleeve shirts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I need some help. I wan't to try and look decent/professional but not sweat to death. So on youtube and such I always see these guys in Khakis and Polos. My residence has been having HVAC issues over the years and it seems even those guys are wearing this getup. Is this some kind of professional joke or something? I'm near Austin, TX, USA (103F peak in the summer) and it's hot. Even in shorts, going outside I just start to sweat. I've been mowing in shin high slip on boots, grey shin high socks, long leg support pouch sweat wicking boxers, jeans, whatever shirt I feel like, neck gator, sun hat with flap in back, tinted Magid glasses, also I use gloves. In about 2hrs, my socks, boxers, gloves are sweat soaked through. Jeans fairly soaked all around the pelvis area... Does not look good, at least they're dark colored. I'm not sure on long or short sleeve shirts. Wind on your arms or blocking that and the sun.

Should I try out shorts? I head stuff will hit your legs. I've had stuff hit my face several times but the gator helps a fair amount I think. Long or short sleeve shirts? How should I change my getup? I've also been meaning to buy new shoes of some kind. I wonder how bad shorts and my long grey socks will look, if I ditch the long boots. (Boots will rub calfs raw)

Thanks,
Higgins909
GOLF WARE !~~~ Footwear is important due to the obvious. If steel toe is required, there are many excellent hiking shoe options. I wear hybrid golf shoes with integrated spikes. They are of smooth synthetic uppers. ~~~ Socks, doubled up base layer socks or base layer socks with merino wool hiking sock. ~~~ Underwear is thin athletic, performance type. ~~~ Pants, long golf pants of thiner and lighter material ~~~ The tops I wear are short sleeved crew neck athletic kind. ~~~ In the shoulder seasons I wear base layers as required. Usually a thin base layer and if cold enough I'll add a microfleece layer. ~~~ All of the clothing is of moisture wicking kind and quick drying. I prefer smooth textures so the debris has little to stick to. My tops are of company colour, red, with no logo or advertising. Most of my customers are older and they like to see neatly sharp dressed people. ~~~ I have worn short pants on occasion but I hate line trimming in bare legs. I had an idea that I still need to try out and that is to buy second hand oversized pants and make some kind of chaps for two legs or one. I probably haven't done this yet because the idea of putting them on and off between jobs is time consuming. ~~~ This look is not everyones taste and we all have our own image or persona, but we all want comfort and performance so it is my hope that I helped in some way. I have learned to stay away from wet grass incrusted jeans and soggy leather boots. Happy Landscraping!

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
I like to take a gallon jug and fill it 2/3 full of water and freeze it overnight. The next morning fill up the rest of the jug. Take a few old rag t-shirts or small towels and drench them in the icy cold water and drape them around the back of your neck. It doesn't last for hours but for a good 45 min or so it really helps keep you cooler.
Wicking/quick dry t-shirts are also a must. The extra water from the drenched neck towel runs down the shirt and provides extra cooling.
Yea, It does not look super "professional". But I believed this helped me last July when I was on the border of heat stroke.

Also, ditch the jeans. Get some thin breathable sweatpants. You can also look into soccer chin guards. You could wear them under the pants if you don't want yer legs pelted by trimming debris.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
😎

Shorts Shoulder Plant Helmet Sleeve

Trying out a cheapo poly, moisture-wicking shirt from Walmart today.
Under $7 vs the $16 my original, neon yellow ones from Target cost.
Fits and feels like what I've been wearing, but unfortunately, the yellow seems to be sold out, so I will either need to switch to red, or look elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
For years I only wore deluth fire hose shorts. But then eventually got tired of picking out small chunks of mulch and sticks from my shins that literally broke the skin. As I said before the old navy stretch jeans are light weight (relative term I know) but got used to them pretty quickly. And they can take a beating. I don't use sunscreen I'd sweat it off within a yard or two anyway. Beard for the SPF on the face, hat for the balding dome.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I wear a wide brim hat with super lightweight khaki beach pants and a lightweight cotton white dress shirt with the cuffs cut off but neatly sewn. You stick in the business long enough without protecting yourself from the sun and melanoma will come and visit. Someone else had commented about not being able to wear moisture wicking and I'm also one of those guys.

Reactions: Youngandfree
41 - 53 of 53 Posts