What's the worst injury you have worked through?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tootall91, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Tootall91

Tootall91 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, just curious. I'm about to have double jaw surgery on Wednesday. I'm hoping I can be back cutting by early next week. I'm a solo guy, but I'm going to recruit a buddy to go around with me to trim/push mow.

Curious what y'all have worked through?

2. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Senior Member

12 hour mining shifts 7 days a week with a torn meniscus, had knee straight and wrapped/duct taped while getting dropped off ontop of a Mtn and having to hike to work. Lasted 2 weeks. Have had some of the worst ingrown toe nails ever that needed surgery. Working as a labourer at a pre cast plant and becoming sensitized to cement, entire body covered with swollen rash all summer, would itch until bleeding all night, dr couldn't figure out what it was, quit when I figured it out it was Portland cement.

3. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure what you mean by double jaw surgery but my son broke his jaw in two places and had to have it wired and removed tonsils while they were at it. He was back on the mower with in a few days. Good luck to you.

4. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

Broken toes. broken fingers. bad case of mono one year

5. Tootall91

Tootall91 LawnSite Member

They are cutting my lower jaw on both sides and sliding it forward, and cutting my upper jaw and repositioning it. Here is some YouTube videos, not exactly what I'm having done but similar.

RussellB likes this.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Concussion\broken ribs...same fall.

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Leg broken in two places and had a walking cast on. It was mid November doing leaf clean ups, so my toes were cold (had a heavy hunting sock that I cut the front half off of for a little protection from the temps) and the the front 25% of my foot that stuck out of the cast was swollen up huge. Made for fun walking on the roofs doing gutter cleaning, but I did it.

Either that one or slipping on some ice under the snow during a house demolition and running an 8 penny common through the thick part of my thumb area where the thumb meets the palm, then having the use that hand to swing my framing hammer for the next several days until it started to heal up (back during my rough carpentry career). The nail went through my hand on an angle, and when I looked down to see what all it had done, it was all the way through my hand and raising the skin out away from the back side of the hand about 1/2" If it had been a 16 penny, it would have made exit quite easily. Not my only nail story by any stretch, but one of the more painful ones.

GoPappy and sjessen like this.
  8. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Senior Member

Turf toe.

Tootall91 likes this.
  9. JagT20N

JagT20N LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from will county Il

broke right foot slipping on ice 2 hours from shipping customer , then climbed trailer (iso tank ) 4 times while there in and out of truck ( IH 9400 COE) 8 times total , then drove back 4 hours to rail yard left foot and floating gears , get in and out of truck 4 times at rail yard to have container lifted , then drove 1 hour to trailer port to drop trailer ( climb in and out of truck 4 times more , then 1 hour to truck yard and a hour home , take off boot , foot extermenly swollen black and blue past ankle , have wife drive me to clinic , 4th and 5th metatarsel shattered , 2-3 thru fractured . went back to work 8 weeks later .

my highschool freind had the same surgery as yours , was off a week , went to work and they sent him home 2 days couldn't work later till the doctor ok'd him and gave him less powerfull meds as he kept zoning out at work ( cabinet maker, ) the router and bandsaw vibration drove his jaw nuts and put him in a zombie state .

GoPappy and hort101 like this.
  10. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Bronze Member

Torn acl, then acl surgery.