1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

whats this called? thick sealer with sand...

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by turboawd, Aug 4, 2011.

  1. turboawd

    turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest
    Messages: 236

    i saw some city contractors put down some thick sealer over a strech of a pavement shoulder. they cleaned out the cracks and then laid this stuff out. looked like they poured it and spread it with a squeegy or similar.
    the sealer was black, laid down to about a good 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch, and had sand in it. it makes the blacktop look like new.
    what is this called?
  2. Mowingman

    Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas
    Messages: 4,701

    Sounds like a product called "MicroSeal". They use it here on some roads. It is supposed to extend the life of asphalt pavement just like regular sealer. The difference is, that this product is for pavements that see heavy amounts of traffic, where your regular driveway sealer would wear off in a month or two.
  3. turboawd

    turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest
    Messages: 236

    i just googled it. looks like the product. i suppose this product may be overkill for a drive or parking lot? lol
  4. Mdirrigation

    Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,661

    Its not over kill for a driveway or parking lot , its just that the equipment to do the work is expensive and its not cost effective unless you are doing large jobs .

    Here its called slurry paving or slurry seal
  5. wnwniner

    wnwniner LawnSite Member
    Messages: 8

    Correct-Likely a slurry seal or microsurface treatment. I run construction for the local government and we use that on streets that are not ready for resurfacing

Share This Page