What's up with Scag wheel motors?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JLC, Apr 12, 2001.

1. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Is there something wrong with Scag wheel motors. I've got a Turf Tiger with 250 hours on it and have already had to replace the right side wheel motor, hub and pump (almost $1000). Now it seems as though the left side is starting to display the same symptoms as the right. Is there anything that can be done to prolong their life? Is this normal. If so I'm not exactly budgeting to replace them every 250 hours. How are the other brands (exmark, JD, dixie) holding up? Nothing like starting off a tight year with major component failure, this sucks.

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

With only 250 hours I assume it would still be under warranty? no, this is not normal for this machine to be blowing wheel motors every 250 hours!

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Are you using the correct filters? Oem is something like 10 microns, the aftermarket ones are like 40-50.

Dirt and heat are the 2 things which will kill pumps and motors, check for inordinate amounts of either one somewhere along the line.

4. JLC

from IA

The first encounter was only the wheel motor was covered, I had to buy the pump and hub. This time if it goes out, it won't get coverage. Maybe this machine is one of those lemons some have discussed. Doesn't make me want to buy another one. What sort of life should a guy be able to expect out of these parts?

5. JLC

from IA

The filters are correct and my mechanic said nothing about dirty fluid. The machine doesn't have coolers on the hydros, maybe this is killing them.

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

You asked about other brands. I have never ruined a wheel motor or pump on all the DC's I've had. I've put a total of about 9,000 hours total on the 4 Choppers, but the one is a 2001 with 350 hours. It's hard to beat the quad loop hydro system.

7. JLC

from IA

Eric, you've got to have some pull with DC. See if you can get a dealer near me in Des Moines. I've heard that they have pulled out of Iowa. I would love to just demo one. I emailed DC with this question and requested literature but never received a response. Does the quad loop have coolers in there somewhere?

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The deluxe models have coolers, the painted ones are optional. They have one for the hydro's and one for the motor on the gas versions. The diesel has 2 for the hydro's and of course the radiator for the engine.

I would like to have a closer dealer too. I'm a half hour away from mine. That seems odd they pulled the dealers out of Iowa. I have seen two LS members from Iowa that just posted they got new Choppers. They must be getting them some place around Iowa. :)

9. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

I recieved my Dixie Chopper literature a few weeks ago. Impressive!

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I talked to my scag dealer who I buy all my equipment from. If the fluid was not all drained and flushed following a pump failure then it is srill containminated. I do not know what caused the first failure. This is my first year with a turf tiger but I have had other scag riders before and never had problems. My old grasshopper was a different story.