What's your callback policy?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by That Guy Gary, Aug 29, 2018.

1. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

This thread is going to have me ranting some but I'm curious how others handle it as I won't be doing this as an employee forever.

I treat the front yards for a large subdivision, 320 houses. They only pay for 3 apps a year, and we'll treat backyards while we are there if a resident wants to pay for it.

Last treatment was the first week of July, and now I'm apparently being sent for 2 callbacks there to respray 2 months later!

This is absurd to me. If they were willing to pay for a proper amount of applications I'd have been there this or next week already. Instead they are getting a free treatment because my boss has no spine!

And of course I'm the one who has to show up and pretend like I didn't do a good job the last time because he's encouraged that stupidity. By giving in and retreating this long after aren't we just telling them it's okay to call us back whenever there is a weed in the lawn?

We apply prodiamine with the first round but I've honestly never been impressed with it's performance. We'll apply Dimension as well for extra but exactly one resident has been willing to pay for it.

How would you all handle it if someone called 8 weeks after an app to complain about weeds?

I'd bet my left nutsedge they are all around the perimeter of the lawn where hacks have constantly scalped the grass down with a trimmer as well.

Mitty87 and americanlawn like this.
  2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

If I took the call.

Thanks for letting us know. We will make sure to address your weeds on your next scheduled service.

I would not make a special trip for a complaint of weeds 2 months after a spray.

3. OP
    OP
    That Guy Gary

They don't have a next service!

It's an insufficient 3 app program because their HOA wants something but doesn't want to pay for something good.

1st week of March, May, July.

They are done!

hort101 likes this.
  4. dfcam

dfcam LawnSite Member

Really? It's 320 Houses and you can't take a few minutes for an extra app?
    Sorry, seems like a no brainer, go do it and move on. What's it going to cost you....Beware, they may be a board member some day...

Wes Parker and That Guy Gary like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    That Guy Gary

I have all the time in the world, but it's not exactly a few minutes as it's a ways from the shop and it's not in the area I'm servicing right now.

I'm not a big fan of politics, couldn't care less if he's going to be a board member.

The board member that really pushed for us to get the contract doesn't even let us treat his property. :laugh:

I have no problem standing by my products and services but I don't believe in giving them away for free, especially if it sets a precedent that encourages them to just call us whenever there is a weed in the lawn.

I kill weeds that are actively growing in the lawn.

If you don't want more weeds to germinate after that pay for pre emergents.

I'm going to do it. It doesn't directly affect my income or finances. I admit I could be overreacting and making a big issue out of nothing, but I've dealt with enough folks that will milk you for everything they can that I'm wary of handing out freebies.

Mitty87 likes this.
  6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

320 homes = "a few minutes"? >> I don't see how this is possible. "What's it going to cost you"? >> without seeing the property or knowing how large or difficult it is, …………. A personal visit is needed to hammer out a "fix" to THEIR problem. Bad mowing? Add an additional app? Cost? I would not do an app for free.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    That Guy Gary

Sorry, I might not have been clear enough in the first post.

I'm going back to treat 2 houses that pay extra for backyard service as well, NOT the whole sub! :laugh:

8. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I would not spray it free they got what they paid for. weed do come back or you would be out of a job

ETM, Tara Ann and That Guy Gary like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    That Guy Gary

I don't even want to meet with the homeowners.

"Hi, it's been 2 months and that's plenty of time for new weeds to germinate!" is where I'm at with it, but probably isn't what I should say.

On the another hand "I'm here because I didn't get them all" is bullshit and not something I'm willing to say, either.

hort101 likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    That Guy Gary

"This callback is unreasonable but my boss really wants to keep the contract with the HOA!" :laugh:

Hey, I warned you in the first post there would be ranting .