What's your callback policy?

Point40acresandadeere

LawnSite Member
Explain that as your current schedule with the HOA demonstrates applications are required every 2 months (that's your frequency you treat now, right?) So, while the HOA doesn't pay for the next application, they are more then welcome to step up to a 5 app program for X dollars, and explain the great results they will see by have a comprehensive treatment plan in place.

Then work their yard real hard this year, and use it to upsell the rest of the neighborhood next year, as an extended program just like you're doing with the back yards.

Only this time it'll be a front yard, and it'll be easier to use existing buyers as an example / sales tool for the rest of the homes.

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
I am not in the spraying business, but I definitely get what you are saying and can understand your frustration. I agree that basically your boss is rewarding these people for being "cheap". That is backwards of how it is supposed to work. They will be telling their neighbors "all you got to do is call them back and they'll come for free". Next thing you know you've got problems. I have had customers before try to go the cheap route on things, when problems occur they will pay. Why should I have to work harder or for less money because they were trying to save money and it didn't work out. What you explain here isn't much different than the customer that only wants mowed every 3 weeks but wants an excellent looking yard, it just doesn't happen.

Mitty87

LawnSite Silver Member
Your boss probably doesn't care to deal with a couple pissed off customers and if less than 1% complain, he sees it as not a big deal to just do it. I probably would just do it too. I'm sure it's a profitable account so why not just make sure everyone is happy, even the complainers. Less than 1 out of 100 isn't bad.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Really? It's 320 Houses and you can't take a few minutes for an extra app?
Sorry, seems like a no brainer, go do it and move on. What's it going to cost you....Beware, they may be a board member some day...
This is why the boss is sending you back

He’s allowing it because it’s a 3 app program for a 320 house sub division and only 3 people complain?
That’s less than one percent
That’s pretty good as far as those places are concerned

PKLIP

LawnSite Senior Member
It is difficult, 2 houses out of 320 for a big account is nothing, so it is not a problem worth dealing with from the bosses perspective. I would also just send our tech out to respray it. Less than one percent is good.

But then again how do you manage client expectations about the service when the client does not understand it? I am talking about when a client does not have a tolerance for a single weed. What is a nice, concise way to explain this to them?

iand

LawnSite Bronze Member
I wouldn't worry about it your boss is the one paying for it not you,if anyone says the last app wasn't done properly you just agree with them and say that's why they've sent me out this time as I'm the best applicator in the company and they wanted to make sure it's done properly this time :)

OP
T

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
It is difficult, 2 houses out of 320 for a big account is nothing, so it is not a problem worth dealing with from the bosses perspective. I would also just send our tech out to respray it. Less than one percent is good.

But then again how do you manage client expectations about the service when the client does not understand it? I am talking about when a client does not have a tolerance for a single weed. What is a nice, concise way to explain this to them?
I really like PKLIP's question and would like to hear how people address the customer when their expectations are unrealistic.

I'm going to go do it. I always do what the boss says and what's in the companies best interest, I just needed to rant like I said. :laugh:

Part of it is pride. I feel like it's implicit that I did a poor job the first time but logically I know it was just a calculated decision to keep the peace.

OP
T

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
I wouldn't worry about it your boss is the one paying for it not you,if anyone says the last app wasn't done properly you just agree with them and say that's why they've sent me out this time as I'm the best applicator in the company and they wanted to make sure it's done properly this time :)
I've done the whole sub myself this year so I can't just blame the last guy. :laugh:

andersman02

LawnSite Senior Member
We offer free service calls for customers who get at least 4 out of 5 of our program. MIGHT do one if it is a 3 apper who got rain right after app.

We tell ANYONE up front who wants 3 apps that they can EXPECT weeds and we offer zero service calls. It even says in our proposals to them. We'll still get calls but rarely will we do anything about them