What's your education or training?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sodzilla, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

I worked summers as a teenager for a guy who lived in my parents neighborhood. Mostly running the Lawn Boy, trimming and walking around with a backpack blower. After 3 years of doing that part time, I went to work for a local nursery and spent 5 years as part of the installation team. Got to the point where the designers would pretty much let me go to it because I had proven my abilities. That's when I decided to go to school for landscape design. Got 2 years of schooling in before I left school, got married, bought a house, and had kids. I hope to go finish that degree in the next few years, but hands on experience has been my biggest asset so far.

2. Kelly & Sons

Kelly & Sons LawnSite Member

I am one class away (4credits) from my BA in International Business.... personally, It may look & sound nice on paper... but, it hasn't done me much good, and hands on/street experience is much more valuable in my opinion...

3. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

The School of Hard Knocks, best education in the world.

4. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Kelly & Sons you should be proud of what youve done, theres plenty of time for the school of hard knocks, why not have both?

I started in Lawn care (spraying) right out of high school, Worked my way up to director of marketing for a few companies, mananged dozens of employee's before I started my own ten years ago, So after 18 plus years, I ve learnd alot, I just wish I had 4 less years experince at Hard knocks and a degree from school.

I now have 4 young girls and No matter what they want to do college will have to come first. It will never hurt them, only my bank account :)

5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Isn't it interesting how so many people have degrees in a field but end up doing something totally different for work? A doctor buddy of mine does construction, and I never would have dreamed that I'd have my own landscape company after starting out in electronics.

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have a BS in Communications.......work FT as Firefigher/Paramedic and 15 years of experience in lawn maintenance (my PT gig).

Leaving the Comm. field is one of the best 5 decisions of my life....

Derek

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my level of education: 4 yrs of high school. to be more specific, that's one year in ninth grade, three years in tenth grade , and when they realized i'd be older than most of my teachers by the time i graduated, they recomended i leave, and i took thier advice. my opinion: some of us are educated, others have god given intillect. for what most of us are trying to accomplish, the latter will serve just fine. being "over educated", and being in this field with the goals that most of us are reaching for, is like being seven and a half feet tall, but not good enough to make the basketball team.

8. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

many years of lawncare, no actual schooling, 4 yr degree in tech. education, working on masters.:D

9. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

No formal education. Worked on a golf course full time for six years, cut residential on the side. I am always buying books about landscaping and maintenance but most of what I have learned was in the first four years in the field. I went to collage because my parents wanted me to, did't go back after the first semester. I should never have gone because it was'nt what I wanted to do. I think collage is good for a lot of people but they must go for the right reasons. Too many times people are told you have to go to collage to be somebody. Fact is some people actually believe they will get out of collage and instantly find a job in their field making 40+ grand a year. Doesn't happen much around here. Key is never stop learning!
    There are many ways to get educated, some formal some not so formal.

10. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

Greenback where did you get that picture of my wife. She told me she got out of the modeling business!