what's your favorite LED version of 2700K or 3000K?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Night Owl, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Night Owl

Night Owl LawnSite Member

From what I've seen, LED has overtaken all other forms of artificial light. At Lightfair this year, I did not see a single light source that was not LED. Not that I visited every single booth... but it sure seemed that way. But what LED does is almost open a door of interpretation of each manufacturers definition of a given color temperature. In landscape lighting, 2700 and 3000K are most common, and the only consistency I have observed from landscape lighting manufacturers (and importers) is that each has a different variety of 2700 and 3000K. Halogen lamps can have slight variance as well, but LED can be wildly different from one another. Much to the detriment of the industry, there is no standard (at least that I'm aware of).

It's futile to ask which company has the "better" CCT with their LED products - way too subjective. Although it seems fair to ask what is your FAVORITE version of 2700 or 3000K? Who makes the product that puts a smile on your face when you see it at night? Any that make you cringe?

2. Jimmy Turks

Jimmy Turks LawnSite Member

You cannot pay attention only to CCT, you must also understand CRI (and its limitations) and have access to CIE chromacity data to effectively and successfully use LED sources from a variety of manufacturers. Unfortunately not many landscape lighting companies do the testing needed to provide us with all the spectral data. And people say this landscape lighting stuff is easy..... :)

Night Owl likes this.
  3. Night Owl

You are absolutely correct. I didn't want to get into the weeds of further data because for one, in my opinion CRI is a whole other stat that is abused by LED manufacturers, and for two, I am asking only for what passes the eye test for various designers/installers. In this world of crazily inconsistent LED products, the eye test should supersede what ever info is on the spec sheet.

4. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Silver Member
    from usa

I use mostly 2700's, they work great for a warm tropical look. But an issue I have at times with retrofit MR-16's is misleading beam spreads. I miss the effect of a well-focussed halogen bulb with a defined angle that holds the pattern over distances.

5. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

IMHO, the higher color temps look institutional and too modern. Given a choice, preference is for as cool as possible “old timey” look. Some folks prefer the bright white look. To each his own. I tend to think asking for a favorite 2700 is like asking favorite ice cream flavor. Everyone likes something a little different. ;)

My guess is soon enough it will swing to widely available individually addressable two wire RGB led and each luminaire could be programmed for color and intensity, fades, etc. Already widely available in the “maker” market. Won’t be long before it’s cost effective in outdoor lighting market.

6. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Kichler and Brilliance seem pretty close on the k scale.

7. Night Owl

Misleading beam spreads - also another issue. There are multiple ways that LED products are being manufactured and they use different styles of reflectors and diffusers that are not congruous with other manufacturers. This seems to create different effects despite identical claimed beam angles. Just the nature of LED is going to make it so that the products will never be so similar as they once appeared when halogens were lined up next to each other. Makes it more complicated but also gives you a leg up if you can identify the differences and avoid the crap

Mike M likes this.
  8. Jimmy Turks

Jimmy Turks LawnSite Member

I recall the first "Lamp Program" at AOLP in Scottsdale many moons ago... it was pretty much pre-LED (Although I brought some very early LED MR16 lamps to display - ProLED they were called... I just removed some from a job this year) The thing is that incandescent lamps were not congruous or similar as Night Owl states above. There have always been distinct visible differences between manufacturer's lamps, be they incandescent, xenon, halogen, or LED.

9. starry night

starry night LawnSite Gold Member

James, How long were those ProLEDs on the job? I have only been in business for eight years and lately I have been wondering when I will be replacing LEDs from the earliest jobs. Of course, I know that depends on what I was using.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018 at 4:08 PM
  10. Night Owl

OK... of course there are visual differences in different incandescent lamps by different manufacturers. However, would you say they are as unique as various LED lamps, replaceable LED modules, LED boards, and sealed LED fixtures all laying next to each other, all claiming the same outputs and beam angles? I tend to think the difference is significant and telling

Mike M likes this.