1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite stick edger?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, May 29, 2005.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

What's your favorite stick edger? Your opinion will greatly effect my buying decision.

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an Echo P230 that I bought last year. Haven't learned how to start it in just one pull, but usually goes on the second. Sometimes I wish it had a little more oomph when hitting those sidewalks that haven't been edged in who-knows-how-long, but other than that, the power is adequate.

Overall, I'm happy with it, but this is the only stick edger I've ever used so I have no basis for comparison.

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Redmax strato straigh shaft model. I personally hate them and truely believe the wheeled tanaka shaft driven edger is the best one out there, but since I don't mow grass anymore and the crews prefer the sticks, I get them the best ones out there.

4. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

I bought a Sthil FS-110 a few weeks age and I love it. I think it has tons of power but I'm in the same boat as Mark, its the only stick edger I've ever used so I don't have much to compare it to.

Mike

5. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

I have the shindaiwa 230, I would get more power if you want to use it clean up a edge that hasnt been done in a while.

6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I'm considering the Stihl FS110R so that I can also interchange with a broom attachment. Any opinons there?

7. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

My two tanaka stick edgers have worked well and have excellent power.

8. 1969mako

1969mako LawnSite Member

I am a meticulous home owner and was considering a very good straight shaft string trimmer and was wondering if the Edger attachment that go onto them are any good?
    Or am I better off with a separate stick edger?
    Thanks.
    -=daveg=-

9. Lawnaholic

Lawnaholic LawnSite Member
    from DFW, TX

I use an Echo edger. I recommend Echo, Stihl, or Shindaiwa as my choices. Hope that helps...

10. 1969mako

1969mako LawnSite Member

Is it a split shaft that can take different attachments? Or is it just a stick?
    -=daveg=-