1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Whats your other source of income

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdemir, Apr 2, 2000.

1. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I too am a firefighter, work 24 on and 48 off like the other guys about 9 - 11 days per month. Havee to do somthing to make some good money, the town I work for is 20% under the state average for wages. 8 years on and a whopping $6.30 per hour and no overtime till 56 hours per week. And yes by the way I am trying to shame them they could care less about us they just want warm bodies, not professionals.

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Hahaha! Joking right? This is a full-time job for me, I barely have time to spend my money.<p>I plow snow during the off-season if thats what you mean. Sometimes re-sell on eBay if I have the time.<p>Bill

3. Charles

Charles Moderator, Friend, Angel

Full time job for me too. No time or energy for anything else. Just 45 days down time in the winter. And I need that to recover for the next year.

4. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

i put up a lot of chail link fence, zero overhead because i already have the trailer get u come-a-long and a shovel and your in business<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida

5. I have not worked for wages since 1988.<br>My season starts in March as soon as the<br>snow melts and I work until Thanksgiving.<p>During the early winter (Thanksgiving to Christmas)I harass large industiral accounts<br>and school districts for new business next year.<p>I don't have a wife or kids (I got a divorce about 5 years ago)and I live in a rented duplex that the rent is $300/month.<br>My truck is a 1992 c1500 and my car is a<br>1981 Chrysler full size that one of my old<br>senior citizen customers sold it to me for<br>mowing her grass ($20 mow job) three times.<br>She bought it brand new and I got it when it<br>had only 65,000 miles.<p>This year I plan to spend the entire month<br>of January living on my trailerable sailboat<br>in the Fla Keys.<p>It does not cost me much more to live on the &quot;hook&quot; in FLA bay vs. being traped in<br>the house in PA for the month of January.<p>If I wanted a lousy two weeks vacation a<br>year I would get a &quot;real&quot; job. <br>

6. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

mr stone,<p> sounds like a good time, i bet its hard to leave the keys to go back to work, i am lucky to live within six hours of the keys so i get there a couple times a year<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Platinum Member

I work on Mustangs, but considering it is pretty much for free, I don't have any other income.

8. OP
    OP
    bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Great to have a post that i posted and so many responses. It is great to find out about everyone. I have been so busy doing spring cleanups and estimating that i dont find enough time to get back on the forum so i guess i could also say that i am all lawn care full time from now on and i dont have enough time to do anything else. But i love it and will do this for a while.<p>It is nice to hear from such a wide group of people.<br>

9. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

One more firefighter to the list. 21 years of full time firefighting and 11 years in business. The last 5 years of lawn care have been full time with all the headaches that comes with full time employees. Thank God for my wife!!!

10. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm a Mechanic for America West Airlines. Seven years seniority, and would have a very hard time giving up the ability to fly at no cost to me.<p>Vic