Wheel pump replacement... just one?

Bashby

LawnSite Senior Member
I have an old turf tiger that blew the left side pump. I got a new one from ebay and a new filter. There is a lot of metal in the oil I dumped out of the filter.
What are my chances that the other pump and wheel motors will survive? Is there a flush procedure I should do? Could the filter have caught all the metal?

OP
B

Bashby

LawnSite Senior Member
Update in case anyone cares. I replaced the pump and filter. There was a pretty good layer of metal shavings in the bottom of the reservoir. I probably should have removed the reservoir and flushed it out, but I just pulled the majority of it out with a magnet. I ran it for about two hours this weekend and it seems fine. I got two more filters for it and plan to change the filter and fluid before I run it any more. Fingers are crossed.

nw883

LawnSite Member
I would have flushed out the entire system at the very least. You're supposed to disassemble, clean, and inspect each wheel motor and pump anytime you have a failure in one of the components. You run the risk of ruining your new pump along with your other pump and wheel motors. It just takes one small piece of metal to wreck havoc on your hydraulic system. If you've got a big magnet from an old speaker or something, it might not hurt to tape it to the bottom of the oil reservoir but it won't do no good on aluminum shavings.