Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. i was wondering if some of you might be able to help me. i got an old wheelhorse 724z. 24 horse onan and the problem im having is some times it will fire right up. and other times i have to crank it over about 15 to20 times. and there have been a couple of times it just would not start. im pretty sure it is a spark issue. because i can smell the fuel when it dont want to start. and i have heard that usually when a coil is bad it will start good when cold but start cutting out when it gets hot. not the case here because once it is running it will run for hours without a problem. and it is very hard to start if it sits for a couple of days.

thanks

·
Registered
382 Posts
I know this isn't of any help but my advice is to drive that mower over a cliff. After you jump off of course. I used to have one and it was the sorriest piece of crap I've ever had next to a Great Dane Surfer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My experience with Onan ignition coils has not been good. They seem to have very weak spark at best on a good day. Replace it with a reliable engine Kohler, Kawasaki etc.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replys guys. but i think that the onan has proved itself to be a pretty reliable engine. it only has 2800 hours on it. not bad for a piece of junk.

thanks again

·
Registered
182 Posts
Originally posted by I MOW ALONE
thanks for the replys guys. but i think that the onan has proved itself to be a pretty reliable engine. it only has 2800 hours on it. not bad for a piece of junk.

thanks again
Might check with your dealer - those engines had a bad habit of losing valve seats

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by I MOW ALONE
thanks redbull.
I have the same mower from new. Always started after winter with a little starter fluid. This is the first year it wouldn't start. No spark. We are getting ready to replace the coil $100. Did you solve your problem yet? Can't seem to find parts.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi no i have not figured the problem out yet. i put a new coil on it and still giving me problems starting. and now when it is running sometimes it sounds like it is misfiring. did you figure out your problem yet.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pooch did you ever figure out the problem. i did with mine. turned out to be as simple as a battery. it had enough power to crank the engine over but was not delivering a full 12 volts to the coil. and without the full 12 volts it just would not fire. just thought i would let you know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Did you replace the coil? I have not solved the problem yet but think it is electrical.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes i did replace the coil and it still would not fire. so i took it to the shop and thats all that was wrong. is your battery new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually the battery was a year old but had to be recharged so maybe that was my problem. I will have to get things back together and give that a try, problem is my neighbor took the parts to test them and now I will have to round everything up. Thanks, will see what happens.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Originally posted by redbull
Might check with your dealer - those engines had a bad habit of losing valve seats
I have one and I finally replaced it with a kohlar.Runs fine now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you had anymore problems with your wheelhorse? My boss just picked up one and it is acting like it is not getting fuel by his description. How old is the 724-Z model? I can't seem to find any info online for them?

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
i picked a wheel horse 25hp kohler and it runs ok right now but i gotta work on it (sat 2 summers) sorry this is a little off topic but can anyone post a pic on here of the drive line (drive shaft from motor- hydros)? thanks

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
i picked a wheel horse 25hp kohler and it runs ok right now but i gotta work on it (sat 2 summers) sorry this is a little off topic but can anyone post a pic on here of the drive line (drive shaft from motor- hydros)? thanks
You must post both the model and serial numbers off your unit to get a proper diagram.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
the model is Z1-24OE01 wheel horse 724-Z with eaton hydros numbers 700 022 and 072093 CW with a peerless gearbox. i was wondering what kind of oil to put in the hydros?

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.