• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

when a 150 watt halogen looks dim...

David Gretzmier

LawnSite Gold Member
You gotta wonder where the light goes.

not really landscape lighting, but a light story nonetheless...

The other day a client asked me to replace the bulbs in a couple of high voltage fixtures on thier sign beside thier road at a commercial location. I removed the old bulbs that were burned out, could not find a wattage on them, and found on the fixture it would take 150, 300 and 500 watt bulbs. the fixture was located about 7 feet from the sign, fixed in a j-box on the ground, and was about 8 inches by 10 inches rectagular. the sign was from the ground to 5 feet tall and about 7 foot wide. I thought that 150 watts would be plenty, as I would normally give this sign plenty of white light with 2 35 watt 60 degree mr-16 floods on each side. maybe 50 watt bulbs each if they really wanted it searing white.

I put in the 150 watts bulbs and noticed the inside of the fixture
is pretty much dull aluminum. no problem, I though, this is a 150 watt bulb. I put one in each side of the 2 sided sign and took a look that evening.

was i surprised. rather than a bright white light, It was a warm yellow, what I would probably call a 9.5-10 volt low voltage halogen color. Upon checking the voltage at the taps, I got 102 volts. the bulb is a long life 130 volt bulb, so I may go to grainger and see if they have a 110 volt halogen bulb, but also, i gotta tell you, I was underwhelmed by the output regardless. Even with proper voltage and a lower voltage rated bulb, I will only see 30% more light. where do the lumens go? backwards? This is why so many folks use/waste electricity on 300 and 500 watt bulbs, the fixtures just don't reflect out the lumens like a good mr-16. worse/further, these bulbs are only rated at 1500 hours. why don't folks install a good reflective 70 watt metal halide fixtue for the same application and get a 24000 hour bulb and use half the electicity for the same lumens?

And of course these folks do not think a reasonable path to energy conservation is paying me to replace these 2 fixtures with a small trans and 4 low voltage fixtures. Since i am not an electricain, I cannot do a high voltage replacement as mentioned above.

OP
D

David Gretzmier

LawnSite Gold Member
So what would you guys do or advise the client to do in this situation? just put in 300/500 watt bulbs, get a quote from an electrician for 2 new metal halide fixtures, or maybe put in a small trans and 4 fixtures? maybe show a chart comparing 2 500 watt bulbs to whatever you reccomend to show the pay off in a x number of years?

RLI Electric

LawnSite Senior Member
David, they may have lost a phase and you are getting a lower voltage rating due to the fact that the circuit is being completed through a 240 volt load someplace for example a well or a range. I see this a lot when phases are lost although the voltage usually falls in at 76 volts from hot to neutral.

RLDesign

LawnSite Member
David,

I cannot understand how you could begin to call yourself someone else's name. I guess you have been sleeping and walking in your own shoes like this for 10 months!! How do you wake up in the morning and feel original? I put my cell in the other post, but here it is again 609-468-8488. Maybe because Tommy is such a great, helpful guy is why I am a little PO'd at this situation. I know there are better things I have to do with my time and I am going to leave it at this... unless someone starts a thread on this topic. Why Tommy, why The Lighting Geek, why not something your own? I try to separate myself from my competition and create unique product, and it seems like you are passionate and experienced - why would you need to piggyback on someone's personality. I gave you advice about growing your business the other day, and I truly meant that heartfelt advice on how to expand and support your family. I am always about helping others, but not helping people that are hurting my friends. What is up with that?

Why is it that you did this?

Talk soon.

Tanek - Reynolds Lighting