1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

When did you go full time?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnsonLawn, Jan 16, 2004.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering how many of you guys started part time and grew your business into a full time thing or did you just jump in with both feet. I currently have a 40 hr week job that pays pretty well and do my business part time (3 days a week). I really enjoy working my business and putting my time into something that is to my long term benefit. The business I am working for full time is for sale and when it is sold I know there are know guarantees that I will still have a job. I don't know if I should stick it out or just quit and go full time with my business. Anyways just wondering at what point you decided you had enough work to go full time . Thanks

2. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

When I got laid off from my previous fulltime job.

3. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

i stayed part time for 01 and 02 and built up customers and equipment. then i quite my reg job at the end of February 03 - no regretes, except that i didnt start years ago! i just made sure i went full time at the very beginning of the season so i could reap the full benefit of the whole season before the winter got here.

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Jumped in full time from the start. I too had a good job, so what. You either really want it for your own, or you don't.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a degree in accounting and was a 401(k) consultant. I quit cold turkey and started with Zero customers. I did this for years before so I wasn't completely ignorant on the business. I never do things 1/2 way. I knew if I quit my job I would make it work.

6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i went full time and when the winter came i just got me a part time gig with a pizza place. started making plans for next year by negotiating flyers on the boxes. i hope to grow by 300% this year, and maybe i wont have to work in the winter. but, if i do who cares. i get all the pizza i could ever want... *l* good luck with whatever decision you make...

lawn wizards

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I was working a dead-end low paying job. The lawncare opportunity presented itself and I went for it, big time. No regrets so far. Went from $6.00 per hr to about $25.00 per hr and the biggest plus, I am working for ME. A no brainer,IMO. Like it has been said before, "I wish I had done it sooner".

8. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I jump in full time and never looked back.