Lawn Care Forum banner

when do I go for the sulky?

7K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  Switchless@aol.com 
#1 ·
Ok I bought the Exmark 36" w/b and I love it. I no longer need the tread mill thats collecting dust ,but.... how long did you guys go before hooking up a sulky. I've been told the sulky is rough on an older guy (a salesman told me that ,and no I didn't buy anything from him). How long did you all take to get used to the mower before going to the sulky ,and is it easier with or without. I see some guys zooming around and they make it look easy. I'm sure it isn't as easy as it looks. Is there a brand that's better than the rest? Thanks for the help, this forum is great.

#27 ·
switchless, thanks a bunch for your help. You really answered a lot of questions I had. The castoring velke you have, can you get that in 2 wheels and does that work good with a gear driven w/b?

gr grass, I would love to demo some of these ,but I've yet to find someone in the Cincinnati to Dayton Ohio area that has them in stock to demo. By chariot design I'm assuming you have a wheeled sulky. What "brand" are you using and is it a castoring style like switchless was talking about.

Thanks again for your help.

#28 ·
Gr Grass, I went back and re read your replies. You already told me you had a castoring type and gave me a link to lesco ,and lo and behold they have 2 dealers in my area. Boy do I feel dumb ,I guess I should have paid more attention. Thanks again, I'm going to give these 2 Lesco dealers a call and see if I can demo one like yours.

#29 ·
The bullrider velky, IMO, is a best buy because it's build the strongest of any velky. Also, it won't allow the velky to "overturn" and flip if you hit a very large pothole. It has very wide mounting to the machine for stability. And, it's the only velky that allows you to choose "and switch" between fixed and castored mode in a matter of seconds.
Pete

#31 ·
Originally posted by Smitty58
Switchless, you did it again. Answered all my questions ,some before I even asked them. I'll be checking out the Bullrider on your recommendation. I believe the ability to change between castoring and fixed is the way to go.
Smitty,
If you have a belt drive, the only way is using the fixed (trailing) mode. Also, if you run a larger machine 54", 61",72" WB even thought it's a hydro, with so much "deck overlap" , and a "small wheel base" you can "in essence" zeroturn while still using the trailing mode. This method let's you make a "very small" turn and not have to truly zero turn the machine, and makes for fast turning. This is what BHB does with his Scag and wonders why his machine seems to turn faster than a Hustler.
However, if you go to the newer type of Hydro WB, like a Hustler or Ferris that has a very wide wheel base you want to run the castored mode, because you must truly zero turn the machine. And, when you change to castored mode, you can then start backing up as far as you want, zero turning and backing around a tree to cut close as you want, and cutting sections that require all the grass to be blown away from a patio, deck or flower bed area. Overall, when you become a better mower with more demands put on your mowing than just "back and forth", the Castored mode with a wide stand mower will give you more productivity and more options.....
Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.