Lawn Care Forum banner

when do i put the dandilion killer on?

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  qps 
#1 ·
Is it when they are in full bloom, before i cut them?
They havent started yet, but i am planning my attack for the couple of dandilion farms that i have. Thanks

#2 ·
The best time to spray for them is in the early-mid fall. This will help tremendously for the next year. Spray them now as early as possible if you need to knock them down. They should be bringing stuff in and your herbicide will be translocated easier. Harder and more dangerous to control in the summer when temps are up. Put a good app down this fall to avoid the problem next year (Unless you feel they are a 1 year customer :D )

#5 ·
clydesdale said:
what about this stuff i see that you should apply the weed killer when the dandilions have sprouted. I was told to do it this way so the weed killer sticks to the weeds. Have i heard wrong? Thanks
Homeowner :rolleyes: ...put your scotts weed and feed down now.....

#7 ·
You could just build a real nice, thick turf which won't allow weeds in. Na... integrated pest management (IPM) isn't for everyone.

Sure, you can treat after they have sprouted, but why not prevent them in the first place?

Weeds are a cancer to turf. Once you catch them, it's an uphill battle to control. However, if caught early enough or steps made to prevent them, you have the best chance.

#10 ·
PR Fect said:
Fall is the best and easy way to get rid of them. But any time you see them you can kill them. We spray them first week in May before they go to seed. Also in September. Wisconsin zone 4-5
I get a kick out of these "fall is the best time"...the best to to eradicate a pest is when the pest becomes a pest, or whenever your client asks you to.

Dandilion is one of the easiest weeds to control, why would you wait until fall?

#11 ·
If I have a choice, I wait until later myself. Not only do you kill the Dandelions but also summer annual weeds that appear later on. When spring comes my jobs are clean but neighboring propertys are filling in with weeds. I have gotten jobs because of this difference. Also it breaks up my schedule by not bunching up 3 applications in a short time frame. With that being said, there are times that the weeds need to be controlled right from the getgo, but I will wait a little longer to get a better kill if I have a choice.

#12 ·
That is what i am trying to find out. I have put the dandilion/weed killer down in the spring usually before they sprout, around this time of year and it seems to do nothing. Then i was told, wait for them to sprout and then drop it on them and that should do the trick. Some on here say fall, some say now, some say wait til you see them. So i guess it is not clear cut. Thanks

#13 ·
clydesdale said:
That is what i am trying to find out. I have put the dandilion/weed killer down in the spring usually before they sprout, around this time of year and it seems to do nothing. Then i was told, wait for them to sprout and then drop it on them and that should do the trick. Some on here say fall, some say now, some say wait til you see them. So i guess it is not clear cut. Thanks
This is why we advocate using a licensed applicator. Applying a "dandilion killer" needs to be done at the right time. The "dandilion killer" you are asking about is a post emergent product. That means you apply it after the weed species you are trying to control sprouts. It would have no effect on a weed that hasn't sprouted. You are using pesticides improperly because you haven't been trained, nor do you have the proper education related to pesticides.

Hire a licensed professional.

#15 ·
SodKing said:
I get a kick out of these "fall is the best time"...the best to to eradicate a pest is when the pest becomes a pest, or whenever your client asks you to.

Dandilion is one of the easiest weeds to control, why would you wait until fall?
Just letting him know how to avoid the problem next year. I think most "home owners" think they are annuals and get killed over the winter.

#16 ·
clydesdale said:
If your trying to kill broadleafs...you have to see them....I assume your using scotts.....the prodcut needs to (stick) if you will to the leaf surface...that's why the bag says to apply with a dew on the lawn...however you'll never have a "lommey lawn" or whatever the commercial calls it...ain't gonna happen...hire a pro and forget about it :)

#17 ·
SodKing said:

I don't think they mean "wait until fall" kill them now...but a blanket weed app. in Oct. will knock out most of your dandelion problem come next spring...I've been doing fall blanket apps. for years and it keeps the phone from ringing in the spring..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.