1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

When do you bid on the commercial lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by punk_rockin2001, Sep 11, 2007.

  1. punk_rockin2001

    punk_rockin2001 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 68

    I am currently going around bidding on commercial properties in my area. When do most of you do it? Logically you'd think Feb-March, but the company around here that basically has the area on lock down makes everyone sign in Aug-Sept. The guy probably has 60% of the lawns that hire out, and the other 40% aren't exactly the kind you want. So when I go to the lawns he doesn't have they look at me like I'm an idiot, and basically politely tell me to come back in Feb or March, or leave a bid and call back in 5 months. So what do all of you do when you are bidding. Do you have a "bidding season"? Any comments will be appreciated!
  2. JayD

    JayD LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,062

    I am still trying to figure this one out myself.
    Last year I went out in Feb/march and could not even get people to talk with me. Then on this site,was told that you need to go out in Aug/sept for the next year. Did that this year and I am still waiting to hear, although about six out of about 70 said to contact them in the spring.Go figure. I think you need to do both.
  3. punk_rockin2001

    punk_rockin2001 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 68

    I think you need to do both also. I am just keeping detailed notes about the conversations I have w/the people I speak with, and will just have to go out of my way a little to make everyone happy. But thats what its all about at first anyway.
  4. Andrew's Lawn Maintenance

    Andrew's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member
    Messages: 83

    I was wondering the same question.
  5. LB1234

    LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,208

    anytime, anywhere, and anyplace. Always advertising. Especially for commercial. Network, network, network.
  6. lawnspecialties

    lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,524

    Every business has their own way. But yes, go out right now and contact and find out when the bidding processes start. Then, WRITE IT DOWN. About a month or so before they are taking bids, check back in.
  7. topsites

    topsites LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 21,653

    Anymore I find if I want something bad, it's best to let it come to me without further ado on my part, the more I try and mess with trying to get it, the worse I find myself compromised later.

    So I wait until they call me, that's apparently the right time. :)

    Not a bad idea in my book, so long your name's out there you should get a call sooner or later.
  8. tjsquickcuts

    tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta
    Messages: 943

    The best time for HOA accounts is now....most comm. account I would say now....Most company's are trying to get their 08 budget in-order as we speak. I just started sending out courtesy/Intro letters to prospective Comm. accounts just to let them know that We are in interesting in Servicing their common areas for 08. If I get a response, I will have the bid complete within 24hrs of first notice.....I need to have my winter to my family and myself so I started getting my bids in early....If I hear back I am happy as all out, if I don't it was meant to be....I need to add at least 30% of bids I have put out. Good luck guys....
  9. bobcatnj

    bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 687

    what do you include in the intro letter that you send. how do you know who to send it 2? for instance: a townhouse community. who do you call and ask for landscape bidding?
  10. Down2EarthLawns

    Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member
    Messages: 191

    Contracts can end on any given time in the year. So call new comms. consistantly and when you find out contract maturity, write it down like quickcuts said.

    I usually ask for the person in charge of property maintenence, punkrock.

Share This Page