1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

When do you bite the bullet and buy new trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by dmk395, Nov 28, 2019.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

maybe "regulate" would be a better word? Either way, to say they can't control it is far from true. They control or "regulate" it all day everyday through many methods.

Cam15 likes this.
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Regulate yes.

Influence yes.

Control? No way, otherwise you would have to believe the powers that be WANT the economy to go into a recession or depression at some point.

I stand by my statement.

3. rippinryno

You are welcome to stand by whatever, but I am also welcome to call it false. Whether you know it or like it, the government, without a doubt regulates and CONTROLS the economy. That doesn't mean that they have to control it absolutely, it just means that they regulate and control the ecomony through many many ways. Federal reserve ring a bell?

i stand by my statement.

4. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Fanatic

Lots of standing by statements here:eek:

Bumpmaster and Cam15 like this.
  5. rippinryno

Right, like it means anything anyway. But we don't want to go back and forth talking about how the government regulates but doesn't control, that's just a word argument, when i fact, the government and the federal reserve very much control the economy...i mean they dicate the laws toward businesses.

If business it good, get that new truck, put it to work and consider an expense. If you're like me, a solo op, and you don't need a new truck or are afraid to ruin a new truck, find a good solid used one.

Cam15 likes this.
  6. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

And I stand by my statement.:waving:

Mark Stark likes this.
  7. CCangler

CCangler LawnSite Member
    from MA

I think so much of it depends on the individual vehicle too. About a year before I left I got a new to us 15 2500hd and for the life of us we could t get it inspected and someone to figure out the NO sensor issue. My 2006 before that never had a single issue. Our most reliable truck was a 99 3500hd dump but one of the worst was an 03 same style. Generally speaking we had enough trucks that when one got to the point of catastrophic we could down it while looking for a replacement and going new.

Outside of payments on new just being bank breaking I would have to think the next thing you look at is for your set up how much is any down time worth because that’s the biggest variable. For us it wasn’t much cost if any, to a single O/O that time could be invaluable

8. CCangler

CCangler LawnSite Member
    from MA

To the recession comments, from a pure multiple Q/Q declining GDP “recession” yes we are late stage in the cycle and it’s no fault of any one in the White House for that. I can remember Kudlow on his radio show saying 19/20 is when we should see one late in Obama’s presidency.

The big issue we would face of the markets taking a hit and many of our clientele tighenting up which I think is what most of you are concerned about is trickier. There is still no liquidity draw or issue looming on that front. No issue in JNK a flight to yield out of bonds approaching, metals only rallying on loosening economic policy globally which raise equities as well. For good or bad long term “not QE” and lowering rates will allow companies to buy back stock and with no forward splits the ever decreasing the float along with contributions leading to higher volatility but still expansion. So there isn’t much to worry for the next few years atleast on that front unless we get the skiddish customers like 16 or some of the questions during contract time for the 19 season but all artificial fears.

hort101 likes this.
  9. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

I have not looked. I've been too busy, but now might be the time to find deals on new or used trucks and equipment. Again I have not looked but financing options should be very close to 0% with long terms too.

10. ME Mowing

ME Mowing LawnSite Member