1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

When do you bite the bullet and buy new trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by dmk395, Nov 28, 2019.

1. prezek

prezek LawnSite Senior Member

Own a bunch of pickups and my NEWEST is 2005. Able to do most repairs in house....I wanna cry sometimes when one of them comes back with dings, scratches, lunch trash, etc...not sure how I could handle sending my guys out in a new truck.

2. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Solo-op here and I usually buy a new truck every 10 years. This spring I will be looking for a new standard cab truck to pull mowing trailer and to hang a plow on. This will replace my 2002 f350, just for plowing this truck has brought in over $400,000 of revenue. I am planning on just parting this truck out since my accountant says I will have to pay back some of the depreciation that I claimed over the years if I transfer the title. It will be nice to have a warranty again. I will try and get a new chevy but will probably end up with another ford. I see you can finance new for 7 years now but I will go for 60 months.

Cam15 and sjessen like this.
  3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Using a truck for snow plowing changes the dynamics a bunch over those of us who only tow a mowing trailer.

Mark Oomkes, Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

How do you make a plow truck last that long?

Cam15 likes this.
  5. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Lots of preventive maintanance. Always checking the bolts on the mounts to see that they are tight and don't spin. My rule 1 when plowing is not to spin the tires. I have a decent shop where I can fabricate and rebuild parts as needed. Most important have a backup truck and plow. The plow solenoid failed yesterday and it took hour and a half to jack the plow up(no snowpiles yet) and grab the backup truck.

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  6. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

My trucks rot. I just traded in a 2017 because it was rusting underneath already.

Mudly, Cam15 and Mark Stark like this.
  7. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Fanatic

NY is brutal on vehicles. Limited options to avoid rust. Fluid film seems to be best option. Time consuming though unless you pay for someone to do but then you need to be sure they didn't cut corners.

Cam15 likes this.
  8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Gold Member

I can't tolerate the unreliability of an older truck. My last couple of trucks were brand new Superduty 4x4 reg cab XL base models. I paid avg $32K each in 2013. I ran them for 4 years, then sold them for $21K each with around 45k miles. No repair costs. One truck needed brakes and tires at the end.

So the cost (depreciation) was $11K over 4 years, or $2750/year each. Although I bet most of the loss in value was the 1st year.

Some negatives: I worked them hard, and I plowed with them, which is tough on a truck. Employees dinged and scratched them. The insurance, taxes, and fees were more than a 10 year old truck, but not that much more. Worth every penny to me for peace of mind.

If the actual costs are remotely close, I'd rather be in a new truck.

Cam15, JFGLN and Mark Stark like this.
  9. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Gold Member
    from WV

Are you looking for a truly legitimate work truck or a work/personal truck? I've seen over the years a lot of guys who are solo or part time want to get all the bells and whistles for their work truck because it also serves as a personal vehicle. New "work" trucks aren't that bad in price. Find a dealer that has a commercial sales department if you're looking to go with a "work" truck. You'd be surprised at what you can find. We added a cab over 4500 Chevy (Isuzu) to the fleet this year and it was actually a good bit cheaper than adding another 1 ton dually pickup.

10. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Bronze Member

The newest truck I’ve ever had is a 2004 and I’ve never seen much money on repairs but I mostly drive them myself with occasionally a few trusted drivers. If I was sending just anyone out my luck might have been worse. I couldn’t make 6 months of truck payments on one vehicle for what I’ve spent on vehicle repairs ever.