1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

    How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

    Dismiss Notice

When do you bite the bullet and buy new trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by dmk395, Nov 28, 2019.

  1. Digitaria Sanguinalis

    Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 641

    Things in Alaska don’t translate to the lower 48. Most American’s don’t deal with plowing snow. Nor do you need med cards to drive these trucks. These aren’t targeted by DOT. These are city trucks.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  2. gcbailey

    gcbailey LawnSite Gold Member
    from WV
    Messages: 3,191

    I've found it just the opposite.... My crews that are still running 1 ton DRW trucks w/20' trailers are pulled over by the DOT (trooper academy rejects) about 4 times a season. Our LCF 4500 has yet to be stopped even though the DOT number is much larger on it than the other trucks.

    State DOT is finally starting to crack down around here on guys in 3/4 ton trucks pulling trailers. In the past you could be dragging a Case 580 or D3 on a 3/4 ton or any other SRW truck and the DOT would let it go all day. See a guy in a DRW truck with an empty 10' trailer, pulled over for level 1 inspection.....
    Mark Oomkes likes this.
  3. prezek

    prezek LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 795

    And the new one will cost 65.
    Cam15 likes this.
  4. Bumpmaster

    Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 41,392

    when your grandma dies an Dad says buy a new truck an he will pay the first $25,000 :eek:
    Cam15 likes this.
  5. TPendagast

    TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 17,515

    A 3/4 ton trailer pulling a mower trailer is under 10,000 gvw and does not need a DOT card.
    If you’re just mowing and plowing (the majority of posters here) then 3/4 ton is where it’s at.
    Cam15 and Bumpmaster like this.
  6. prezek

    prezek LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 795

    This isn’t correct. Our 3/4 tons are all around 9k gvw. The second we hook any trailer to them, we are subject to DOT regulations...and every year, stops and inspections are on the rise. All my drivers have their cards.
  7. TPendagast

    TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 17,515

    It’s important for you to understand the difference between INTERstate and INTRAstate commerce:

    You are required to obtain a USDOT number if you have a vehicle that:

    • Is used to transport the types and quantities of hazardous materials requiring a safety permit in intrastate commerce (see 49 CFR 385.403).

    • Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
    • Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
    • Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation;
    AND is involved in Interstate commerce:
    Trade, traffic, or transportation in the United States—

    • Between a place in a State and a place outside of such State (including a place outside of the United States);
    • Between two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the United States; or
    • Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the State or the United States.

    • The key here lies in the AND. Most posters aren’t bouncing between two states or ports for the purposes of commerce.
    Mark Stark likes this.
  8. prezek

    prezek LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 795

    You need to realize many states are enforcing 10k combinations and admit you were wrong in your blanket statement...I was pulled over a few years ago without a medical card. 8800lb 3/4 ton pickup with a 12k dump trailer....one of my guys pulled over this year with an 8800lb truck and a 7000lb mowing trailer...all my drivers now carry cards and all trucks carry safety equipment.
    Mark Oomkes, Mdirrigation and hort101 like this.
  9. Mark Stark

    Mark Stark LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 9,931

    These are always so confusing because it seems police/DOT inspection folks don't know (or don't care) about the actual regs themselves.
    Cam15 likes this.
  10. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

    Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 535

    The way the DOT thing gets explained to me by our state troopers here is they add the weight rating of the truck and the trailer weight rating as indicated by your tabs. Once the combination goes over 10k pounds you need a Medical card and safety equip.

    Edit: it doesn't matter whether your trailer is empty or loaded. they don't weigh you for this they just add up your weight ratings as indicated by tabs.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Mdirrigation and hort101 like this.

Share This Page