1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

When do you bite the bullet and buy new trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by dmk395, Nov 28, 2019.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

If you watch the video
    You can fit a 52”
    You can do either a 52 and 36 or a 52 and a 48

back in the old days I did basically that with wooden ramps and walk behinds

not quite as refined or elegant , but that’s how I know what will fit in the pick up bed.

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Yea... I thought it was pretty nifty

I like how it disassembles and a few guys can lift it out and put it on a pallet for the winter.

also means it can go on any truck with an 8 foot bed with minimal effort.

granted the spot for the 21” isn’t desirable ... but if you follow my philosophy (do as little 21 mowing was possible) then the issue is moot.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Gold Member
    from WV

The guys with the 3/4 tons pulling a Case 580 on a 10k trailer didn't get too much attention until one ran away and went over a 800 embankment on I-77 a few month back.

Yes, if you have a 3/4 ton and trailer you may not be at the 10k limit for DOT but a lot of guys are over.

With all my statements you have to take into account we are right on the WV/VA border, so there are so many guys that are INTERstate not INTRAstate and don't have a clue that they are non-compliant. WV has dedicated PSC (DOT) cops that are angry at life and are starting to finally apply the law as it should be to everyone.

I know this has drug the OP's topic off course.....

4. 1620cwj

1620cwj LawnSite Member

There are different philosophies on to look at. If your equipment is costing you what a new truck would be a month, I'd get a new one. Some companies rotate out the oldest for new after a certain mileage or by years. A good friend trades his pickups after he finishes paying them off. Always has a fresh truck and gets the most out of his trade in.

5. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

I'm waiting for the economy to tank. I bought a leftover Chevy 3500 8 x 16 stake body truck with a heavy duty Heil dump & about 100 miles on it in 2007 for $32,000 with 6 year 0% financing.

No deals like that around now. I have some old pickups that I need to replace, that I spend about $600 a year on repairs for, while waiting. If the economy continues to go good, I'll take that until things sour & then I'll buy a couple more, with or without dealer financing. They even offered a lower price, if I got my own financing.

Cam15, hort101, sjessen and 1 other person like this.
  6. La Chandler

La Chandler LawnSite Senior Member

Down time is a killer, so that is the first, second and third reason. Not familiar with the formula, but the military has a rule they will not spend an additional $5 after a certain point.

oqueoque and Cam15 like this.
  7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Judging by the the looks of some of the military equipment in this area....past a certain point can be pretty far down the road!

8. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

Youll be waiting for atleast another 4yrs after the next election.*newusflag*:drinkup:

oqueoque, rclawn and Mark Stark like this.
  9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Cam, were you able to get the heater controls repaired on your truck?

Cam15 likes this.
  10. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

oqueoque likes this.