• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

When Do You Consider Yourself A Professional?

One Degree

LawnSite Member
I was curious as to what it takes to be a professional landscape designer/landscaper. I see so many companies advertising "Professional Landscape Design" when all they do is draw circles and squares on paper or come up with a design on a cheap Wal-Mart program. I have a 4 year Landscape Design degree from a major University and I still ask myself "Am I considered a professional in the industry?" I go to trade shows acting as a customer and talk to other people in the industry that consider themselves "professionals" and I am amazed at the lack of knowledge they have or the BS they feed their customers. I wish Landscape Designers had more of a classification such as a Landscape Architect that way it would add value to the meaning of a Landscape Designer.

Team Gopher

LawnSite Platinum Member
I agree with olderthandirt. Professional can simply mean you get paid for the service you provide.

WeatherMan

LawnSite Senior Member
Well I have a masters in Architecture and a minor in Landscape Architecture. And I did not consider myself sussesfull untill I learned how to work the design, and work with the customer.
Took Awhile I swear that college did not help me much with the real world, It taught me how to drink alot LOL

bcx400

LawnSite Member
One Degree- I use to think the same thing about being 'professional' - it doesn't really mean anything unless you have the skills and experience to prove you truly are 'professional.' The Association of Professional Landscape Designers is the only group out there (that I know of) representing 'professional' landscape designers. Anyone can become a member. To become a Certified member, you must submit a design, to be reviewed by a panel of your peers.

I have found it helpful, to be able to tell a prospective client, that I am a certified member of this organization. It absolutely weeds out those 'designers' who don't know what they are doing.

Check out apld.org