When do you discard your blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by JayinKs, May 14, 2018.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

That's really interesting. I haven't seen that one before.

weeze likes this.
  2. Eric502

Eric502 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Kentucky

Call it their "sand blade"... Notice in Weeze's pic the outer edge and angle where the sail angles up appears to be what is worn the most. I suppose in theory this design would possibly aid with that.

Ridin' Green likes this.
  3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I can see that as the outer half inch or so does most of the cutting and lifting, so having the sail upright a bit inboard would allow the sail to throw the grass without doing the lifting at the outer tip which would help limit the sand from getting to the end of the blade as well as the sail.

I would like to know how those work if someone ever tries them. I know if I were in weeze's shoes, I would sure give them a shot.

DXN1EL and Eric502 like this.
  4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

interesting. never seen that blade before. looks like they just folded the sails flat on the ends to keep them from wearing out. wonder how much they cost?

found some. about the same as G6 blades in price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-99-502-S...891659?hash=item1c80acc94b:g:6j8AAOSwsW9Y2Veq

i found one of those soft sharpening wheels. still about $60 total once shipping is added. i'm gonna give it a shot. hope it doesn't crumble to pieces on me. :laugh:

https://www.amazon.com/Norton-Super-I-Grade-Grinding-Wheel/dp/B005AV1C4W

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  5. Eric502

Male, from Kentucky

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

7. JayinKs

JayinKs LawnSite Senior Member

Weeze, I have two sets of Scag std lift blades with approximately the same hours. One set is .205 and one is .250. I know it’s hard to believe but my .205 set looks better than the thicker blades. Could be coincidence but the hours on both blades is real close. In fact, I ordered a set of .205 XHT’s instead of the .250 because I couldn’t see any advantage in the .250. Plus, the thinner blades should be easier to spin bog less.

8. Eric502

Male, from Kentucky

The .25 thick scag blades are standard on my ttii 37hp. I got an extra set and the dealer tried to sell me the standard .205 stating they are less strain and (around here) there is little to no advantage to the .25 unless you are doing a lot of bush hogging. I got the .25 anyway only because if i bend one (unlikely) i can swap a blade out and bot have different thicknesses. Next time, ill likely go with the 205s.

9. wjjones

wjjones LawnSite Senior Member

Get your moneys worth.Thumbs Up

DXN1EL and Ridin' Green like this.
  10. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TEXAS

Then i cut them to fit the edger.

1526591923871981493291.jpg

1526591959801654627177.jpg

Smokindog, wjjones, Glwenzl and 3 others like this.