1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

When do you hire help?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by FiremanDud, May 12, 2006.

1. FiremanDud

FiremanDud LawnSite Member

I'm not at the point of hiring a crew any time soon but am wondering when did you guys make the jump from being solo to hiring a help. Is there a set number of lawns or income when you should? I have only been in buisness for less than a half a year and have started to turn people down because I just don't have the time to cut there yards. I already have a full time job and want some day's off to spend with wife and kids. But if I can make this business grow some how and make it worth my wild then I would like to know how you make the jump? Thanks

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I tried it once or twice, made more money by myself, ain't had nobody since.

3. SuperiorLandscapeMgmt.

SuperiorLandscapeMgmt. LawnSite Member

I would say it depends on your situation,truck equip.,dumpsite.How many lawns you mow in a day and at what price?

4. FiremanDud

FiremanDud LawnSite Member

I mow about 8 per day(9-2 p.m), have a total of 15, two half day's. Almost all are 100 per month a couple are 150 per month.

5. Natural Impressions

Natural Impressions LawnSite Member

basically when you are busy 5-6 days a week with other estimates coming in and your not sure you are going to keep up. Your losing some work or passing on some estimates. Maybe it's time to find a part timer ( NOT A FRIEND)...Find someone you can groom to be the right worker...most employees are idiots.