When do you start aerating?

HighChiefKC

LawnSite Member
I’ve been waiting since May when I bought my new stinger Quad Air to start doing all the Aeration jobs I presold during winter. In the upper/mid Midwest, when do you guys start doing Aeration?

buttaluv

LawnSite Senior Member
I think we might be fairly close to each other HighChief... I usually start in sept. Depending on weather, go until mid oct.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I do not understand the logic. Seed germination is faster when the soil temperature is higher--mid August is the peak soil temperature.
Ideal for seeding if you have irrigation.
If you do not have good irrigation or hose sprinkling (or rain), yes, there is an element of luck involved.

Do you mean that you think the seed will take hold better(on average) in September when the temps are a few degrees cooler?
Do you have any concerns about weeds?

I am trying to reseed some dollarspot damage in my front yard this week.
I am also growing some seed in a coffee cup, (outdoors most days, inside as needed)--as a test to see if the seed is good. No result at 72 hours. Scotts "Sun and Shade". Watering with a glass of water, about a half ounce at a time. Topsoil from my wife's garden.

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
I do not understand the logic. Seed germination is faster when the soil temperature is higher--mid August is the peak soil temperature.
Ideal for seeding if you have irrigation.
If you do not have good irrigation or hose sprinkling (or rain), yes, there is an element of luck involved.

Do you mean that you think the seed will take hold better(on average) in September when the temps are a few degrees cooler?
Do you have any concerns about weeds?

I am trying to reseed some dollarspot damage in my front yard this week.
I am also growing some seed in a coffee cup, (outdoors most days, inside as needed)--as a test to see if the seed is good. No result at 72 hours. Scotts "Sun and Shade". Watering with a glass of water, about a half ounce at a time. Topsoil from my wife's garden.
MId august is likely the worst month to try to get seed to germ in my neck of the woods. spring or fall here, irrigation or not.

OP
H

HighChiefKC

LawnSite Member
I’m in northern Indiana. Purdue says 2 weeks in mid August is best time to seed. With a hot and dry late summer the last two years, I’ve pushed back my own lawn to Labor Day. I got great results last year. I tried again mid October as a test and didn’t get much at all to come up.

I aerated my own lawn last weekend just to get some experience on new quad aer. I had a lot of fungus spots, so just experimenting to see if anything would help. I have irrigation.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
SA400016 (2).JPG Seeding in Michigan in August. I seeded a few spots of dollarspot damage. I used Scotts Turfbuilder "Sun and Shade". There is a high percentage of perennial rye--with some fine fescue and bluegrass. However, there is also about 50 percent seed coating.
On August 5th, I also planted some seed in topsoil in a coffee mug on my desk. I also put it outside for a couple days to avoid the air conditioning; this to get the greater heat from outdoors which was about 85.
I kept it moist, watering with rainwater.
The indoors seed sprouted after 4 days, August 9. It was 3/8 inch tall at the tallest. Now after 5 days the tallest sprout is about 1 inch tall.

The outdoors irrigated seed also sprouted. The spots were vigorously scratched up with a hand cultivator. The germination time is unknown here, because some of the seed was planted about 10 days ago, some 5 days ago.
The maximum height is now about 1.5 inches.
I suppose the seed that sprouted is perennial rye--which usually germinates quickest.

SA400016 (2).JPG

SA400017.JPG

Last edited:

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
I’ve been waiting since May when I bought my new stinger Quad Air to start doing all the Aeration jobs I presold during winter. In the upper/mid Midwest, when do you guys start doing Aeration?
I was always taught to aerate when the lawn is thriving. So for me, I aerate cool season grasses in the spring and/or fall and warm season in mid summer. I’ve always over-seeded when aerating(easy sell) and haven’t experienced any negative results.