When do you start??

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by hotrod1965, Mar 11, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    hotrod1965

hotrod1965 LawnSite Senior Member

I am curious how you calculated your 800 dollar figure?

we do home owner lights but we charge a straight hourly rate. if it takes two hours to untangle, we get paid for two hours to untangle. plus you can sub those jobs out easily.

2. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

I order lights when I need them. Usually have a good stock built up as we go along.
    Haven't taken all my lights down either( need to get an 80ft lift in!) About 50...2ft starbursts.
    I would like to order 20k( 30-35k worth wholesale) if ordered early. just can't let go of that much money right now.
    We did about 8-10jobs and grossed 45k this year.
    I won't mess with customers lights..... don't wanna, never will.
    You just never know how long they will last.
    With mine I get 1yr warranty---- another company I've been looking at -3yr warranty on LED!

3. OP
    OP
    hotrod1965

hotrod1965 LawnSite Senior Member

When it comes to home owner lights, we don't garentee anything. If we have to come back, we bill them by the hour..

This year we are suppling lights, I may be able to pre-order your lights without paying up front. Depends on what you want. PM me and let me know.

4. christmas79

christmas79 LawnSite Member

Still taking down lights 15 left it takes along time to get them the down and I don't take them in till I get paid!

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

About the 800 dollar rehang question- Our rehangs average 1000 or so, some are 300, some 3000 and up. The 300 and 400 dollar rehangs you have to do 2-3 per day, and with drive time and gas expensive, you really want your guys at one location per day.

those are the 800-1200 dollar rehang jobs. these jobs usually include home lights, minis, garland, wreaths, etc. these folks paid around 2000-3500 bucks the first year to buy everything, or accumulated around that much purchased over a 2 or 3 year period. I like those jobs that the guys can do in a day, and include most of the elements of a good Christmas light design.

The guys like it because they feel like they accomplished something, and will show pride in these, usually take thier friends/girlfriends by these houses and the larger ones they do. they take ownership of these jobs- "That is my house I did" etc.

The smaller jobs are great, but usually are only the top of the house, or mini's only, and they tend to just go through the motions on these. and since you gotta do 2 or 3 per day on these, time is wasted on the road. Also, It is just easier for me to run a company with 140 customers at an average of 1000 per rehang than 280 customers with a 500 rehang.