When do you stop mowing in Commerce Michigan?

ColesLawnServiceMich

LawnSite Member
Hey all, this is my second year doing this. Last year I would keep bringing out my equipment all the way into November because some of my customers would keep wanting their lawns cut after it had hardly even grown and some wanted weekly leaf cleanups and I would have to keep switching between putting my bagger on and off. It got to be really annoying and I would like to be able to put a definitive date when I will stop my services to my customers. When do you guys stop mowing?

Thanks,

Cole

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
wrong industry to put a date on your services. The rain, and temperature matters, if you want to leave a customer shaggy over the winter then you can set a date. Otherwise, my season is based on the weather. Sometimes we start early, sometimes we end early, and vice versa.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Hey all, this is my second year doing this. Last year I would keep bringing out my equipment all the way into November because some of my customers would keep wanting their lawns cut after it had hardly even grown and some wanted weekly leaf cleanups and I would have to keep switching between putting my bagger on and off. It got to be really annoying and I would like to be able to put a definitive date when I will stop my services to my customers. When do you guys stop mowing?

Thanks,

Cole
when you’re pushing snow out of the way with your deck... that’s a good indication to stop!

typically you get frost on the lawns in the morning.
The lawns will stop growing after that.
Then it’s just leaves and making things look neat.
So a couple weeks after first frost is a good time to wrap things up.
Of course, fall clean up can take a while after that, depending on your work load

Andrew H

LawnSite Gold Member
This is great! The Op asks when to stop
Mowing in Michigan and the guy from Alaska responds.
:rolleyes:

we’re done cutting usually by the first week of
November then we transition to cleanups

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
This is great! The Op asks when to stop
Mowing in Michigan and the guy from Alaska responds.
:rolleyes:

we’re done cutting usually by the first week of
November then we transition to cleanups
doesn't matter where you're at, the principal is the same. No set date, ever. Unless you want to leave a yard shaggy or else skip leaf cleanups.

"usually" is not a firm answer, that means on average you're done by the first week in november, what about the wierd years, like this year for example. we just got 2 inches of rain and it's going to be 90 for a few days. I have no clue when I will be done.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks,

Cole
I'm in the southern half of Mich and I quit mowing usually after the first week of Nov, but there have been times in recent years when I wish I had keep mowing another week or two as we had warm weather for Nov, and the grass keep growing making leaf cleanup a PITA.