When does everyone start Fall Cleanup? Michigan resident.

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Nick Warner, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Nick Warner

Nick Warner LawnSite Member

Getting a ton of cleanups already booked, when is a good time to get started? I anticipate having about 40 cleanups. I should be able to knock out 3 a day. Would love any suggestions!

2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

When you say cleanup, do you mean leaves or fall renovation like aeration, detaching, etc?

MNLawns and hort101 like this.
  3. MNLawns

MNLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from MN

assuming you mean leaf removal, whenever the leaves are mostly down, is generally end of oct beginning of Nov. when we do them, we are already scheduling ours.

Nick Warner likes this.
  4. Clay Guinn

Clay Guinn LawnSite Member
    from MT

If you have 3 days of work and it is leafs, I would do about a week before the first major winter storm or end of Oct. to the beginning of Nov.

On a call likes this.
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

This is generic to everywhere there is leaves. I started yesterday on one yard with lots of big oak trees. Ground was carpeted with leaves so I mulched as I mowed. Will charge them extra. You just start when the leaves fall If you have stopped mowing before then fall back on your customer agreement--verbal or contract. as to when to start. Much better to do a thin layer than piles of leaves. So I try and get them to let me do it often. Many just want it done one or two times. Going to cost$ them!

fga likes this.
  6. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

I’m solo and the problem is usually the leaves fall late and the snow comes early so you have a shorter window than expected. So I definitely try to get there once when about half the leaves are down so the final cleanup goes a lot quicker. This yr I got a ztr w a dump from seat bagger so I’ll prob go 3x - just mow and bag the first 2x then details the final time.

7. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Charles pretty much hit right on.
    There's a difference between onetimers and your weekly customer.
    If they're one timers, kinda have to wait until theyre all down otherwise youll get calls saying "just a few more fell, can you come back?"
    For your weekly customers:

What i started doing like 20 years ago is charge a one time 'leaf fee', pre-agreed, on the very last bill of season for the estimated extra time spent during the fall.
    Example...if i charge the customer $25 a week to cut, i continue to cut weekly and Bill monthly at that rate all the way until the end of season which here is December 15th.
    Now say on that last bill im writing around December 20th has 2 visits. Your final bill of season to customer will be $50 for the 2 visits and say $300 for fall leaf service for a total of $350.
    This method does a couple of things For me.
    1) working around weather you can kill your schedule. Customers will not wait weeks looking at leaves for you to get there.
    2) keeping up with them keeps money coming in and makes the process of mulching and cleaning them way easier. Turn them to dust weekly with a few extra minutes per account (which get paid additional at end)
    3)in additon to money kept coming in September-December, now you have a significant amount of bills out that will come in January while youre home sipping hot coacoa.
    4)the customers are happy because the houses should have minimal leaves at any given time.
    Just my approach. I try and be proactive to whatever complaint may arise

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Cedar Knoll Lawn Care likes this.
  8. Nick Warner

I quit mowing a few years ago and just do spring and fall cleanups ( Leaf removal). I guess the initial question could have been worded better. When is the earliest everyone starts leaf removal? Upon further research, last year, first accumulation of snow was Dec.5. So I anticipate to start mid October and go till it snows. I have about 10 cleanups now and thats just people who are responsible. Obviously I will get more when the leaves really start to change. I anticipate getting hammered after the first snow fall and everything melts. Im just trying to adequately staff up so I don't have to turn down $$$$$$$.

9. Nick Warner

People will pay for aeration and de-thatching in the fall?

10. Nick Warner

A week to do 40 cleanups?

Mow-Daddy.com likes this.