1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

When does the cutting season start for you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CowboysLawnCare, Jan 17, 2010.

1. CowboysLawnCare

CowboysLawnCare LawnSite Member

I know where I live, in south Louisiana, the grass starts growing in late January. I was just curious when yall start.

2. Kutz Lawns

Kutz Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Us all starts when the grass is 1 inch above the setting that is mostly used around here where I live and that would be 3 inches, doesn't matter what time of the year it is as long as it's 4 inches long and green, then we start cutting!

Good Luck

3. SouthLouisianaGrassCutter

SouthLouisianaGrassCutter LawnSite Member

December in hammond

4. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

not soon enough!

5. millenium_123

millenium_123 LawnSite Member

Wow I wish it started in January here! Usually about mid march depending on the weather.

6. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

Damn you guys are Lucky!! We start around the second week in April in Jersey give or take

7. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in Baton Rouge. You are lucky to have customers allow you to start in January. I dont start untill mid-March when the grass is actually growing steady and needs weekly cuts.

8. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

we start cleanups March/April but cutting doesn't actually start until April/May depending on weather

9. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I start spring clean-ups in early to mid April but weekly mowing doesn't start until early May. I have a long time yet...the warmer weather can't come quick enough.

10. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Amen to that....I'm losing my mind!!!