Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love power myself, but when is it not practical? Would like to upgrade, and the way they price it, (like everything else......hard drives, ect.) for a few dollars more it seems to be more power for the $. Really, I need to upgrade, and get this mower back up. (provided I don't sell it quite yet)
When to draw the line? Had planned to upgrade to a 23HP (Kaw)
but the 25hp is only 150.00 more. When is it too much power for a 48" belt drive?
(will give me more time to fix the 17hp...in my spare time)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Is this a 48" belt drive walk behind? 17hp sounds like plenty to me....Had a 15hp on our old one with a set of jungle wheels on it. It was fine. Our 52 " Zs have 23-25hp engines now and are just fine...Chuck

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WB.......... main thing I don't like is the air filter on the 17HP.
I think Hustler is doing a good thing with offering a WB with 23/48 and 25/54. I like all the power I can get, just wondering how eveyone else views the HP wars.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I got 17hp on both my 52" standers. If i buy another one, i am getting 19hp at a minium. It boges down at little in 6"grass. My one buddy who i talk into buying a stander, has a 52" with 23HP. I couldn't even tell i was cutting 6" grass. (it was dry thank god)

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
Put what YOU want on YOUR mower man. If you don't you'll be kicking yourself. Maybe the HP sounds extreme, but who cares? You can never have too much power can you? The weight is a non issue. Fuel consumption probably is too. Moot point. A well loaded smaller HP engine will likely burn just as much fuel as a free running 23 or 25.

I like the 25/48" combo a lot. I'm talking riders though. Good power, full speed mulching, mow and pull hills, ect... SWEET!
Personally I've said this before and I'll say it again, I think a 48" deck poses a bit more load on the engine than some realize due to the pulley gearing setups to acheive high blade tip speed.

Personally though, I think you should quit sand bagging and go get that new mower now. It can be earning it's keep instead of sitting around over the winter. The eXmark is just a belt drive (no insult). Repair the 17hp in your spare time and put it back on. Then you have an excellent back up or employee machine. That sounds more sensible to me. BITE THE BULLET ALREADY....

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Anything over 17 HP on a 48 belt drive is wasted power. A new 17 Kawi twin will spin a 48 belt like a sewing machine and cut thick wet grass without a problem. Put your hard earned dollars to better use.

Hey...wait a minute. Are you really 87? If you are... you should already know this.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by DennisF
Anything over 17 HP on a 48 belt drive is wasted power. A new 17 Kawi twin will spin a 48 belt like a sewing machine and cut thick wet grass without a problem. Put your hard earned dollars to better use.
I know hydros use more HP, than belts (atleast what I hear).
So what is wasted power on a hydro? (like to learn something new everyday)

Really, I have had mine when it needed more power in thick (wet to a certain degree) grass. Blades were sharp. But diff. blade types might have worked alot better for me.

Better to have it and not need, than need it and not have it.
(just me)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.