• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

When is it overkill (HP)?

metro-hp_48

LawnSite Senior Member
Love power myself, but when is it not practical? Would like to upgrade, and the way they price it, (like everything else......hard drives, ect.) for a few dollars more it seems to be more power for the $. Really, I need to upgrade, and get this mower back up. (provided I don't sell it quite yet)
When to draw the line? Had planned to upgrade to a 23HP (Kaw)
but the 25hp is only 150.00 more. When is it too much power for a 48" belt drive?
(will give me more time to fix the 17hp...in my spare time)

lawnmedic1

LawnSite Member
Is this a 48" belt drive walk behind? 17hp sounds like plenty to me....Had a 15hp on our old one with a set of jungle wheels on it. It was fine. Our 52 " Zs have 23-25hp engines now and are just fine...Chuck

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

LawnSite Senior Member
Easy Tim Taylor. I think you know when your lawn mower hovers off the ground or it starts to sink into lawns from being too heavy.

OP
metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48

LawnSite Senior Member
WB.......... main thing I don't like is the air filter on the 17HP.
I think Hustler is doing a good thing with offering a WB with 23/48 and 25/54. I like all the power I can get, just wondering how eveyone else views the HP wars.