When is it too wet?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CJ's Mowing Service, Oct 9, 2018.

1. CJ's Mowing Service

CJ's Mowing Service LawnSite Member

We've been getting rain almost weekly lately. I’ll be honest, I hate mowing wet grass. Clumps, sticks to everything, and the last thing i want to do is “mess up” a yard with tire marks, ruts, and turf tear. Sometimes though, I wonder if I’m too cautious.

So how do you gauge whether it’s too wet or not?

Ma&Pa likes this.
  2. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Gold Member

Same here, stuck in muddy ruts or ripping up turf because it's so soft. Im unfortunately losing out on cuts at the end of the season....but someone eventually would require i repair the damage and that would not be good for profit. I'd rather save face and only cut as needed and when weather permits.

Ma&Pa and CJ's Mowing Service like this.
  3. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

Same here, been raining nearly every night and they have been huge storms since the beginning of October. If it's raining I call it and notify my peeps. I have one property that has poor drainage and I simply don't mow there for the last 5-6 cuts of the season. The customer doesn't care. They have been driving their truck and trailer across the back yard also and broke a sprinkler line. I got my 36 stuck in it 2 weeks ago. I gave them the heads up and I cut around it.
    I give the owners a heads up on the squishy spots and avoid it until they say it's cool.
    I tell them when I sign them up that you can dry out after mowing in the rain but if lightning hits you you don't come back from that and I don't want to take the chance. They get it. I always tell them if I'm not coming because of rain out of courtesy. It works for me.

hort101 likes this.
  4. Crammin'Mows

Crammin'Mows LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Use your lightest mowers.
    Clean and spray your deck and chute with mower coat or PAM cooking spray to help with clogging.
    Use freshly sharpened blades.
    If it's still tearing it up after all that better not mow it, or get out the scissors...

hort101 and CJ's Mowing Service like this.
  5. Graverunner68

Graverunner68 LawnSite Member

Same up here in Pittsburgh. I have switched to the walk behind, walking the worst parts of yards and only using the velke on open turf. Also switched people from bi weekly to 10 days. And eve pushed weekly customers to 10 days. Just trying to keep from shredding up the lawns. The rain has been crazy here almost every day.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

One year we got 21" of extra rain. I bet this year is close to that amount. Our clay soil allows for mowing wet. Tracks quickly disappear after a few days. I warn them about muddy tracks. I also tell them it is either that or piles of clippings. Just all about wording it properly so you can keep on mowing. You're not going to do any permanent damage to anyone's lawn in most cases around here with surface tracks. Nobody wants it mowed when lawns are dried up. I am sure not going to pass up fast growing wet times$$$ Waiting on it to stop raining now. Probably go out if it does. The Hurricane is already pulling in moisture from the Atlantic--yesterday and today.

Graverunner68 and Ma&Pa like this.
  7. Ma&Pa

Ma&Pa LawnSite Member

We feel you brother. We are from Texas too. We are like 22inches over our normal rainfall for This time of year. I'm thinking on investing on one of them tracked Altoz mowers, so I can have an advantage over my competition in the area, and be able to mow when it is wet out.

8. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

No offense but that's kinda like the guy who asks when do you sharpen blades, when they're dull knucklehead.

But seriously each yard is different, even on the same yard different areas will be mowable and other areas not so. Learn and remember that way you can schedule yards accordingly. For instance give certain lawns an extra day to dry out or if you see rain in the forecast do the problem yards before the rain

9. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I try to work around mother's nature's liquid sunshine routine (like skip a Tuesday rain day for working a Sunday)....but this year you got to do what you got to do.

CJ's Mowing Service likes this.
  10. CJ's Mowing Service

CJ's Mowing Service LawnSite Member

And there is the magic answer. Seems like there’s always a smart ass in every forum. I tend to think I’m overly cautious at times. I was just seeing how others gauge it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018