1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

When it snows

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by mitchgo, Feb 8, 2019.

1. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

I'm curious what you guys do when it snows, or for some of you guys that have long periods of cold weather and snow on the ground.

Do you work through it anyway on installs? Service work? So far I have just put everything on hold.

In the greater Seattle area.. We have many many hills , so if there is snow on the road it's basically out of the question as most residential roads don't get plowed/ salted/ sanded . If the roads are clear then it might be manageable.

Last week we were hit with 4-10" of snow with highs not breaking freezing, so it hasn't really melted. I had 3 installs lined up that I was overseeing with the crews that all have been postponed. Now , we are going to be hit with another 4-8" of snow . So now next week will more then likely be pushed back too

I can see working in 1-2" of snow and not really being a big deal, just raking it out to dig. But more then that , I'm not making the guys work in higher depth.

I sent a email to all our techs to not just assume you aren't working without prior notification first :)

Russell MiniTrencher and hort101 like this.
  2. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Everything stops here around December 1. The ground usually freezes, so digging is not an option. The suppliers switch over from mulch and stone to sand and salt.

As far as billable work goes, we wait for snow to plow, or ice to sand.

hort101 likes this.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Snow isn't a complete installation interruption, when it's an out-of-prime-season snowfall, with the ground still unfrozen. Plowed poly is easy to find once the snow is swept aside. Waterproof rain/snow pants are a good add-on for kneeling on snowy ground.

Russell MiniTrencher and hort101 like this.
  4. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Platinum Member

Ha! Working in the snow...this guy has jokes.

hort101 and mitchgo like this.
  5. frumdig

frumdig LawnSite Senior Member
    from nunya

Frozen ground makes muddy jobsites workable around here. LoL

Also, Guy I use to work for had us laying sod on top of 2-3" snow we had the night before.

hort101 and mitchgo like this.
  6. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Platinum Member

That’s just f_cking stupid

hort101 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

It's the greenest lawn in the neighborhood!

Russell MiniTrencher and frumdig like this.
  8. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

Love winter! If I could be make enough money In the winter to do only snow and ice operations I would.
    It is very profitable for us but it can be a headache sometimes.
    We plow, we salt, we post on plowsite...

hort101 likes this.
  9. frumdig

frumdig LawnSite Senior Member
    from nunya

We try to fill in with service repairs noticed at shutdown, and installs. But it's so hard to get in touch with people to get work done this time of year. We tell them at shut down, and attempt to contact for scheduling in January, but it's apparently not on anyone's mind. And then when you do get a hold of people they think were crazy trying to work in this 'weather'. And the weather is generally pretty mild... if its below freezing and cloudy, probably gonna stay home... 32 and up with sun shine, well be out working.

Edit:
    And all the landscape projects are dragging their feet, so come startup season everything is ready for us and were covered up and questioning our sanity

hort101 likes this.
  10. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

For the last 15 years my only job in the winter has been snow removal. Before that I would work at a gas/service station in the winter doing muffler shock and brake work It seems most every one I know in this kind of business has a second job in the winter. I now make sure I make enough money in the summer and set up my snow removal with enough people that pay by the season upfront so that I can cover my overhead if it doesn't snow.

mitchgo and hort101 like this.