When to fire employee due to lying?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Ijustwantausername, May 18, 2019.

1. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Most lying stems from fear, either afraid of the reaction or consequences. Some people make a habit of it, some can't help it or stop it. But fear is the common factor.

iand and That Guy Gary like this.
  2. GreenscapeCT

GreenscapeCT LawnSite Member

Tara Ann... your profile picture is very nice, you are a very attractive professional woman.
    Tara Ann... I have read so many of your posts and think you are very educated and intelligent.
    Tara Ann... you are very smart and have so much insight, I appreciate your input.

Am I lying?

3. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

I had an employee that lied to me all the time but it was with his personal life these people think your really stupid but I would play along with him till I caught him in his lie and he wouldn't know what to do but he was a wonderful employee for 4 years till he got himself in trouble now his lies won't help him he's probably in prison

sjessen, Cam15 and Ijustwantausername like this.
  4. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I'll agree with this one.
    Tara Ann...Think very carefully before answering Greenscape CT.:cool:
    Greenscape CT...if you said those same statements in front of me, I would know if you're lying or not by your body language. Psychology has been a serious interest of mine for a long time, and given the opportunity, I could pinpoint with great accuracy if someone is lying if I have them in front of me. I'd make sure the motive for lying would come out as well with a few probes.

Tara Ann and Cam15 like this.
  5. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

This is NOT a lie :cool2:

jonthepain and Cam15 like this.
  6. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

How long do you want to hear lies is the real question

sjessen, Tara Ann, Cam15 and 2 others like this.
  7. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of lies? The question is way too ambiguous.

No one likes to be lied to. Unless you are running a business to stroke your own ego you can't fret about these things unless it is or has a good potential to hurt you.

To share a bit about myself, I suffer from a lot of anxiety and it makes lying when I screw up or under perform sound reasonable.

There isn't any thing to support this and through life experience I have a lot of evidence to argue it's often the worst thing to do.

And I'm talking basic crap like busting a stuck pop up in an overgrown lawn I'd honestly surveyed before I started mowing.

Like I said in the beginning your question is way too ambiguous.

If he's a good employee try to address what makes you uncomfortable. Firing him without putting in some effort to improve things is just as misguided as their initial lie if you don't believe it was malicious.

sjessen, Mark Oomkes and GRANTSKI like this.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't have to fire my lying employee...they took care of it themselves by resigning. :)

sjessen, Tara Ann, Cam15 and 2 others like this.
  9. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

"Self" Deportation is a wonderful thing.. wish more would do it!

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

This is what I was kind of getting at. IN reality, every lie affects the company but still, you have to pick and choose. And determine the severity of the lie.

Does it frustrate the living crap out of me? Absolutely, but everyone lies at one point in time or another.

The above referenced ex-employee wouldn't have been terminated due to lying alone, there was much more to it. But it sure didn't help the cause.

sjessen, Tara Ann and hort101 like this.