When to try and get commercial jobs

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by CT31, Apr 17, 2018.

1. CT31

CT31 LawnSite Member

When is the best time of year to try and get commercial jobs?

2. Kennedylawns

Kennedylawns LawnSite Member

It depends on the business. I know around me some banks look at budgets in September and others in January. The town I live in is starting to take bids for the lawn care in June! So you could call around and see. The worst they can say is no !

3. starry night

starry night LawnSite Gold Member

Why don't you new guys include your location in your profile? It might be significant in providing answers to your questions. Specifically size of your market.

4. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on when they are in need. That's a general question with no specific answer. They may let their current service provider go at any time. To me, it's a waste of time to aimlessly look for commercial work. Get in contact with your connections and get to know the ones that can help you land some of these accounts. It's not always easy. It will be different for every place of business.

5. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

If your trying to grow advertising should be used to gain clients. Chasing just commercial is hard they usually will seek out who they know. Make yourself known and the leads will come.

6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

You can build up all sorts of commercial you want
    All it takes is someone who’s dying to lose more money on it than you and you’re suddenly a fraction the size company you were

Commercial will happen to the properly sized companies
    Stop trying to hunt for it.
    If you’re not in it yet
    It’s too soon

7. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah and I think its tougher for the newer operations to pick up commercial. Most larger commercial places want someone who has been around and other people recommend. I had a guy stop me one time at my industrial account and want to know how you get large places like that. I said I have no idea lol...its about knowing the right people and having a good reputation for several years. Once others start to hear your name come up in conversation they start to take notice. I couldn't explain to the guy that still had another full time job and cut a few yards on the side that there is no way for you to land these accounts like that, unless you are related to the owner or plant manager etc. Just keep hitting up your contacts and build your reputation. Everything else will fall in place over time. Now sure how long you have been in business though.