When you know the landscaper or architect is just wrong...

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by GreenLight, Mar 14, 2019.

1. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

but the irrigation guy is going to be there fall guy.. I have noticed this trend over the years and I finally just started telling customers the truth.

My biggest grievance with landscapers and architects is when they spec southern turf in places that I know it's going to be dead or extremely weak and thin within 3 years. Zoysia in areas that are 90 percent shade... Bermuda rolled all the way up to trees with huge surface roots.
    I finally just got honest and started telling customers the truth:
    It will look great the first year, year 2 you are going to notice that it might be showing signs of weakness, by year 3 the weakness is becoming problematic because the irrigation will actually begin working against them and water will be eroding their weakening turf. Within 5 years remnants of the turf is all that remain.
    The architect or landscaper is long gone and says "it must be an irrigation problem because it looked great the first year we guarantee it.

The truth of the matter is you can basically get sod to take and look great just about anywhere for about a year, but as it lacks the ability to grow deep roots, all the variables start to add up and within 3-4 years it's basically trash

2. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Bronze Member

EGO!!! I can’t remember how many times I’ve had to try to convince an architect that something isn’t going to work. Seems the conventional wisdom is “Of course it will work...I designed it!”

hort101 and GreenLight like this.
  3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Well
    If it weren’t for landscapes there wouldn’t be any irrigation work
    So you can’t crap where you eat.

Simple way to solve it is how much water do you want there?
    Put out your cup... do your audit... look, that’s how much water is there.
    3 years later
    Put out the cup
    Collect the water
    That’s how much water is there....
    That’s my job
    I’m doing my job.
    Why is the grass dead?
    Not my job.

Easiest way to handle it

Let other trades hang themselves

4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Bronze Member

Truth. However the few we work with usually work off my designs and put it into their plans.

hort101 likes this.
  5. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

My dad was a carpenter...one night he was talking about architects and how you always hear about architects being brilliant and blah blah blah....then he said "BUT, behind every great architect throughout history there are tradesmen saying "what a freaking moron"

rlitman, DXN1EL, Doc8406 and 4 others like this.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I like how LA's still spec trees being staked even though university after university have shown that they don't up to a certain caliper or height (for evergreens).

And then the "landscape management" company that has been hired doesn't remove them and a bunch end up dying from girdling. But dangit...that's the way we've always done it and we have this cool acronym behind our name so we know what we're doing.

Or the instant "mature" landscape. Install 3 trees when in 5 years they're going to be growing into each other and 2 need to be removed.

Don't get me started on LA's or architects or engineers.

rlitman and GreenLight like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

Yes. Very similar to the homeowners association that requires an ornamental tree centered in every postage size lot. Not just any tree mind you, a tree with mature specs of 40' tall and a canopy width of 25'. 5 years later they are sending warnings to the homeowners about the awful looking conditions of their grass.

hort101 likes this.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Or a "street" tree planted between the sidewalk and road that has a height of 40 or 50', but the phone, cable and power wires are only 15-20' so the power company comes through and butchers the trees. Turns them into a V or tops them or cuts off one entire side.

The list of stupid crap people spec is endless.

DXN1EL, iand, hort101 and 1 other person like this.
  9. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

All the tree here in the space between the sidewalk and road are planted and maintained by the city. Nice fines go to anyone who wants to trim or remove them. But your have to maintain everything underneath them. Oh and if the city wants to they will plant them at random times in places they see without trees. Oh look there is a empty space fill it with a tree!

10. Mark Oomkes

And always plant a million of the same species so when EAB shows up, all the ashes in the city die simultaneously.