Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Flyers generally have low responses. You have to get your name out there a few times before they will even start to notice it. Full color ads are flashier (and unfotunately more expensive) but catch eye better. I think it was walker talker on here that had a really nice one a few months back. Do a search and see if you can't find that thread. After a while it will be word of mouth advertising and you'll be set

·
Registered
155 Posts
BefNMe,

I think it may be a little late in the season to be searching out new contracts in bulk.... Often, people have their lawn contracts in place and will only search out new contracts if they have problems with their present LCO's.

Also, we used to hand out flyers and found the response rate was nil, so we started advertising in the yellow pages and helpful pages... those adds have paid for themselves 25 times over

And it's only been 4 days! More will call, don't worry!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks For The Criticism.i Didnt Know If Was Just Me Or Not.the Reason I Give Away A Free Mow And Blow Is Just So I Can Be Noticed Doing Work In That Neighborhood.i Figure If People In The Community See Me Working And See A Nice Finished Product That May Intice Them To Call Me Also.plus You Gotta Give A Little To Get A Little.and What Is Giving Away One Mowing If You Gain 3 Customers Right?maybe? Has Anyone Ever Tried This?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Bulletproof said:
BefNMe,

I think it may be a little late in the season to be searching out new contracts in bulk.... Often, people have their lawn contracts in place and will only search out new contracts if they have problems with their present LCO's.

Also, we used to hand out flyers and found the response rate was nil, so we started advertising in the yellow pages and helpful pages... those adds have paid for themselves 25 times over

And it's only been 4 days! More will call, don't worry!
I disagree, with all the new homes being built I hand out flyers all season. Just put out 150 and received my 6th call today. All have signed up. Don't give up. Just try another area.

·
Registered
949 Posts
befnme said:
Thanks For The Criticism.i Didnt Know If Was Just Me Or Not.the Reason I Give Away A Free Mow And Blow Is Just So I Can Be Noticed Doing Work In That Neighborhood.i Figure If People In The Community See Me Working And See A Nice Finished Product That May Intice Them To Call Me Also.plus You Gotta Give A Little To Get A Little.and What Is Giving Away One Mowing If You Gain 3 Customers Right?maybe? Has Anyone Ever Tried This?
You do have a point. I've gotten a lot of walkup jobs. A couple of times it wasn't even a neighbor. It was someone, from an area I wasn't in, who saw me working and just stopped to talk. I have 5 properties in one of those areas now. Visibility IS important and if you've got to 'spend' $30.00, occasionally, to get that visibility in an area, well, that's just an investment. If you gain more than you lose, it is a good investment. You're not really giving anything away. Tactics that work for someone who has been in business for 7 years and is well established, probably won't work for the start up business. Do what you've got to do but always remember that lowballing can come back to bite you later in your career.

·
Banned
3,976 Posts
Drop the home phone number from the flyer, for starters. I'd just put your cell number on there, but not refer to it as "cell".

·
Registered
805 Posts
I just had 3000 passed out in a particular subdivision for me, and in 4 days I've gotten 6 calls. Based on percentages you're doing better than I am.

Like someone mentioned, it's only 4 days. I've passed out postcards all year long, and have been surprised everytime at when the calls come in. I still get calls from batches I put out in March.

I didn't see your flyer, but this does make a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
132 Posts
With a free cut like that, can you not 'bill' yourself for marketing/sales costs to write it off? Lawn care isn't my thing (I do mostly excavating and hardscapes), but I would think that there is a deduction there somehow, maybe some of the tax guys can fill us in.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I've tried most of my big neighborhood and flyers don't do much at all. And people I talk to already have a "professional" and don't want a young kid that don't know anything but pushing a murray. Well I talked to a guy and told him about my services and my equipment and his neighbor might let me do his lawn too. They have to give me a chance instead of preconceived ideas. :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.