1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

WHERE ARE YOU GUYS GETTING $ 50.00 A MHR ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRET, Jul 10, 2000.

1. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

<br>I like OSC's approach. The owner is always the most efficient detail man. There are dozen's of excuses why employees suck at weedeating (and blowing). Not all employees of course, but high turnover is a reality in this business. Teach 'em how to run the mowers and do it well. It's the machine they prefer anyway. <p>I've had guys stop every minute or two to wipe the splatter off their legs. There's no time for that. If the owner can stay behind the mowing crew - in a chase vehicle doing trimming, blowing, customer communications ..... seems like a good idea.<p>Two more things. It amazes me how many guys I see out there weedeating without safety glasses. It seems to be tolerated by LC owners - large and small. I can't think of a more high risk injury scenario. There should be a ZERO tolerance policy in place regarding this. Eye injuries are one of those sneaky little mice that can wipe out a day, a week's profit's, whatever. <p>We can see the elephants coming down the road and prepare....it's the mice that get you in this business. (Pardon the metaphor)<p>Second, Osc, I wish there was a weedeating contest. I'm older than you and I'll bet I can stay with you. I'll even use my Toro TC3100 :)

2. Charles

Charles Moderator, Friend, Angel

The biggest problem with letting them ride on the mower. Is that you are their boss and you are working harder than they are lol. I thought the best part of being a boss was that you got to do the easy work and pay some flunky to do the hard stuff. Well when you get over 40 you be telling them to egt their azz off that mower and that will be the day they quit because you have them spoiled.

3. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

turfquip,<br>In a previous entry you wrote&quot; I wish there was a weedeating contest.&quot;<br>What kind taste best ? I like a good thistle salad, how 'bout you ?<p>Sorry for the break from the serious folks....now back to the regularly scheduled programing.

4. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

<p>I like polk. Sativa is O.K. too ;)

5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

For some reason I agree with you Charles! :)<p>Oh yeah...to add to the original post...average $50+/hr mowing here in the Philadelphia area and have some clients where I do plain landscape maintenance (i.e. pruning, edging, and just making sure everything looks good. No cutting as they like to do that part) where I just charge a flat rate of $45-50/hour.

6. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Turfquip: I know about that sativa weed.

7. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I am waiting to hear from Phagan about checking out my bus. cause i know i'm not making what i should. I grossed about 25,000 last month, about 8 of that mowing, have no idea how much i made or the co. I have no intentions of following my guys around cleaning up after them.Besides i definately can't run that fast! We make most of our money right now doing landscaping + tree work, that's were i'm at every day. Maybe i should go out with the mowing guys once or twice a week, haven't done that since early last year. It's a pain cause i have 2 new guys right now , been trading them off to learn the mowing route.guess i will make time.<br>MowEd, post about phagan to me or osc?, seems like osc has his bus the way he wants it , running with the crews making serious profit. I always heard most businesses make an average 15-20% profit????

8. OP
    OP
    BRET

BRET LawnSite Member

I THINK THAT I DIDN'T EXPLAIN MY QUESTION RIGHT. I'M ASKING IF ON A COMMERCIAL MONTHLY MOWING CONTRACT. IF YOU DECIDE IT WILL TAKE 20 MANHOURS ARE YOU ABLE TO CHARGE $ 50.00 X 24 MHR FOR A TOTAL OF $ 1000.00 PER CUT ? THIS WOULD BE OVER $ 4000.00 FOR A 24 MHR PROPERTY. NO APARTMENT HERE IN FLORIDA WILL PAY THAT. I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT RESIDENTIAL MOWING OR CLEANUPS. THAT IS WHERE WE MAKE GOOD MONEY. WE DROPPED THREE 60 FOOT TREES IN 5 HOURS AND I MADE $ 1250.00 . BUT MY CREW THAT WAS ON THE SAME PROPERTY ONLY MADE $ 350.00 FOR THE DAY. I JUST WANTED TO KNOW FROM ANY ONE ELSE THAT IS RUNNING MORE THAN 4 TRUCKS IF THEY ARE ALSO HAVING PROBLEMS. BILL PHAGAN TOLD ME THAT HIS L.M.O. WAS 40 EMPLOYEES AT A MILLION AND HE CLEARED OVER $ 100,000. THATS IS STILL 10% PROFIT. I BELIEVE THAT WHEN YOU START GROWING YOU REALLY HAVE TO SUFFER FOR A WHILE. WHEN I'M TALKING ABOUT MONTHLY INCOME I'M TALKING ABOUT NUMBERS THAT STAY CONSTANT. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I'M COMING FROM OR AM I JUST BURNED OUT FROM STRESS.

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

i can get 60-100/hr as a solo operator but co's running crews get 60+/hr for a two man crew, I can do as much myself as two minimum wage slackers workin for the man.<p>Bill

10. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Bret,<br>The problem could simply be a matter of crew efficiency. If no apartment in Fl will pay $4,000month for maintenance and maybe they are paying $3,000month, maybe the companies doing that work are only using 15 man hours compared to the 24 man hours you mention. Something to consider.