1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

WHERE ARE YOU GUYS GETTING $ 50.00 A MHR ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRET, Jul 10, 2000.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

This is the best advice I have heard since I signed onto this board. This should be what all LCO's strive for, I know I do.

2. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

whoa now, ease up partner. it just struck me as funny when i read it. if you lived up here in KY, you would understand why. actually, i think a lot of professionals would find that somewhat amusing.

it sounds as if being selective works very well for you but what i do works for me as well. good luck on finding those "all fescue" lawns down there in florida. watch out for that bermuda too, once it gets in a lawn it can take over qucikly.

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Relax folks. There is more to life than who has the biggest house, most cars, best mowing equipment,etc. How about how is your family life,relationship with friends AND CUSTOMERS,etc? Isn't if funny how on the internet manners go out the door very easy sometimes. My guess is that the back and forth jabs that go on in this forum at different times wouldn't go on if you met in person.

Okay, if you must list all your earthly assets (cars.house,mowers,etc) then how about including the debt on all that stuff then we can get the value of what you own. Oh, and list any inheritances that you have collected already.

I have a 750,000 house, a vacation home in Florida, have $15 million in a mutual fund (started off with $1,000 in Wal-mart 30 years and $5,000 in Microsoft 30 years ago). I just mow for fun. Only kidding about the last two sentences.

Have a good day and enjoy life.

4. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

yes you are correct and i am going to edit my previous post. but, if you noticed in that post i put "i own" before everything. when i say own i mean paid for.

5. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Ego's Ego's!!! Whats going on. He's a scrub no he's a scrub. I will tell you this it all comes down to two things either the quailty of the work or the cost. For some of the big boys they are beating us out due to cost. And all the small guys will get you with the detail of their work. The guys I admire do some of the best work in my area and have the $_ _ _ _ trucks. Does it (truck) really have to be brand new. And some of the guys with the newest trucks do the worst work. I don't have the newest truck but I'll tell you this my work and knowledge speak for itself. As my grand pop once said "learning your trade is an ongoing process"
    And he was a mason for 40 years. I must admit the cheap shots keep things interesting but are not always needed. We all can learn something for this site. I'm not into the whole ego thing, but I love learning about different things. Like I never knew about the double blade system until I heard Eric (God bless his sole) talk about it. I truely believe the the internet will pay a strong role in the furture of landscaping. Just look back 10 years ago. If it was'nt for the net and guys like Chuck most of us would have never met. We need this very important tool to take us to the next level. I have talked up a storm and now its bed time.
    Good luck and good night to all.
    Travis
    AG&G Lawn Maintenance

6. Darryl G

Darryl G Inactive

Well Bruce, in my opinion, you're a little light on possesions and you'd be better off with a 3/4 ton Chevy than that TOYota. My family car is a 2002 VW van (I can't imagine making my family drive around in a 1998 BMW), all my equipment is paid for, and I own a riverfront home on 34 acres with over 1/2 mile of river frontage (I can't imagine having only 2 acres). I don't need a vacation home because I'm living in one! I mow any kind of lawn as long as it fits reasonably well on my route, I like the customer, it's profitable, they pay me on time, and I don't have to mow more than 2 days a week. Different strokes for different folks. Lighten up.

7. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

i noticed it was beginning to brown. thanks iwas curious aboutr that.

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

$50 per hour - all I see is numbers

1. if a driveway is a double car deal and 60' long and a young kid shovels it for $20 and it takes 3 hrs - he probably feels like he did well making $6.66 per hr.

2. if the same drive is done by a 4 foot snow blower on the front of a 455 JD and it only takes 10 minutes for the $20, that adds up to $120 per hr.

3. The major difference between the two examples above is the fact the kid has a $12 shovel and the 455 JD guy has $12,000 machine.

4. So I guess my main question is "All you guys saying you get $80 per hr. - do you have the big stuff" and "All you guys getting the $30 per hr. are you working with the little stuff." I would venture to guess that the guys running the little stuff for $30 per hr. are making just as much profit as the big boys with their big wide machines- After all - most accounts have to be bid on the amount of mowing involved whether it be by a 21" pusher or a 60" rider.

Thanks, Brad

9. Samurai WeedWacker

Samurai WeedWacker LawnSite Member

Bret- more people would read your posts if you didn't use ALL CAPS. It's tough on the eyes. Many people consider it to be the equivalent of SHOUTING.

10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I just wonder what's for supper?

Never seen a U-Haul make it to Heaven.

I just think I'll live till I die.