Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just killed off the majority of my backyard due to weeds, had I tried to kill just the weeds I wouldn't had much else left so was round-up happy hour :)

My problem in the past has been not much luck with grass seed, always ends up dying out on me due to one thing or another usually drought and heat.

Best luck I've had and would be the most expensive bag I could find was this:
Couldn't find this on Pennington site.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=193802-303-193802&lpage=none

The other fescue I used was the Pennington's better then Kentucky 31 shown here:
http://www.penningtonseed.com/section/lawn_02.asp?type=products&category=tall+fescues&id=489

Problem with this was it's not drought risistant and ends up dying out first signs of any hot humid weather.

So, Looking for any sugestions to what seed to try next before its time to plant.

EDIT: Might be worth mentioning I'm looking for tall fescue in south central Kentucky.

No, No No Bluegrass LMAO!!!

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's what I got everyone so looking for opinions here?

http://www.penningtonseed.com/section/lawn_02.asp?type=articles&id=535

I was told at Lowes it was what all the contractors use. Plus, my bag looks different and though it says Rebel IV it also looks like its in a different bag and says "Contains the Number 1 turf type tall fescue" and bag looks more like this:

http://www.penningtonseed.com/section/lawn_02.asp?type=products&category=tall+fescues&id=731

Now I have not opened it yet so opinions welcomed.

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Teamates Plus From Lesco. Check The Soil Ph. I Have Had Yards In My Early Years That Would Come In Great Then Die Off Cause Ph Was Low.
YEP! Sounds exactly what happens when I try to plant in the spring so this year I just let the weeds grow as it was better then bare ground. :)

Had good luck last year with what I planted in the fall with exception to the brown patch I ran into this year.

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wondering,
haven't got much replies to my thread so did I confuse everyone with what I'm asking? ;)

I got the seed, just need to know if I got the best or is there better?

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There will always be better.

Have you tried JDL?
We have a john deere equipment dealer but nothing like that in our area.

So pretty much, there is always better so would you also say its a trial and error thing?

· Registered
1,023 Posts
The reason your lawn dies every summer is probably lack of organic matter and water. The best seed would be seed innoculated with mycorrhizae as this will help the grass in times of draught. I would recommend Pennington Smart Seed - Fescue. If you are looking for the BEST seed this would be it. There are a little less expensive routes like not having to buy from Lowes and having an account with mycorrhizae.com and buying raw myco from them and innoculating the seed yourself - but this would probably be way to involved for this fall and takes some studies + trial and error.

Just get the smart seed from Lowes and top dress with a light coating of compost after you slit seed it and water 4 times a day for 10 mins per cycle @ 11AM, 2PM, 4PM and 6 PM for 3 weeks then cut back to AM and PM and then AM until the first frost. If you get OM, myco and some humates on your lawn this fall it will not die out next summer.

· Registered
6,921 Posts

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reason your lawn dies every summer is probably lack of organic matter and water. The best seed would be seed innoculated with mycorrhizae as this will help the grass in times of draught. I would recommend Pennington Smart Seed - Fescue. If you are looking for the BEST seed this would be it. There are a little less expensive routes like not having to buy from Lowes and having an account with mycorrhizae.com and buying raw myco from them and innoculating the seed yourself - but this would probably be way to involved for this fall and takes some studies + trial and error.

Just get the smart seed from Lowes and top dress with a light coating of compost after you slit seed it and water 4 times a day for 10 mins per cycle @ 11AM, 2PM, 4PM and 6 PM for 3 weeks then cut back to AM and PM and then AM until the first frost. If you get OM, myco and some humates on your lawn this fall it will not die out next summer.
Sounds like the route I planned to take unless I found different before mid september when I plan to seed, thanks Barefoot.

One thing different I am thinking about that I didn't plan on is actually renting a power seeder to do the seeding rather then just spreading the seed with the scotts hand held spreader and washing the seed into the ground. :)

should be a Miles Farm Supply or a Southern states in your area, look them up. Here is a link for Southern States http://www.southernstates.com/articles/ca/index.jsp
ahh, now your talking launguage I understand JB, yea we do have a southern states close by and another place I can't think of the name of it now but sounds simular to the Miles Farm supply you speak of.

But I am liking Barefoot's idea since that sounds like the seed I already bought, just think I'm going to need another bag.

· Registered
1,023 Posts
Apply 5 to 6 lbs of seed per thousand (for over seeding - 8 to 10 lbs for total revamps) and set the tines at about a quarter inch. 9just barely scratch the surface) all you need is seed to soil contact - not buried seed. So many newbies set them so deep they pop up in china and not you lawn - LOL. Make sure you got the Pennington SMART Fescue and not just regular Pennington Fescue - The Smart seed has Myco (mycorrhizae).

I would also strongly incourage you to spread compost over the top (topdress) just dump it in Looong thin lines and hand rack it with a leaf rake. 1 cu yad does 1000 to 1500 sq ft. it takes 1 man about an hour per 2000 sq ft to do this buy hand. You can probably have the compost drop shipped in your driveway. MAKE SURE it is finished compost and not unfinished horse poop or any poop (finished poop is good! or it can burn your lawn - if it is finished it will have a great earth smell to it. It will germinated better and have use less water with a nice 1/8 inch top dress of compost. I can't believe you did not take David Cook up on his offer to do this for FREE!

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Apply 5 to 6 lbs of seed per thousand (for over seeding - 8 to 10 lbs for total revamps) and set the tines at about a quarter inch. 9just barely scratch the surface) all you need is seed to soil contact - not buried seed. So many newbies set them so deep they pop up in china and not you lawn - LOL. Make sure you got the Pennington SMART Fescue and not just regular Pennington Fescue - The Smart seed has Myco (mycorrhizae).

I would also strongly incourage you to spread compost over the top (topdress) just dump it in Looong thin lines and hand rack it with a leaf rake. 1 cu yad does 1000 to 1500 sq ft. it takes 1 man about an hour per 2000 sq ft to do this buy hand. You can probably have the compost drop shipped in your driveway. MAKE SURE it is finished compost and not unfinished horse poop or any poop (finished poop is good! or it can burn your lawn - if it is finished it will have a great earth smell to it. It will germinated better and have use less water with a nice 1/8 inch top dress of compost. I can't believe you did not take David Cook up on his offer to do this for FREE!
Here's a pic of the seed bag Barefoot, now from what I understand Rebel is Pennington?
http://home.insightbb.com/~joe.henson/Seed.jpg

I'll check into the compost tomorrow.

Since I just got rid of ChemLawn I might take Dave up on his offer after I see how things go now and if needed and the offer still stands for next fall I might be calling on him. :)

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think I can be more CLEAR - PENNINGTON SMART SEED WITH MYCO - FESCUE.
OK I found it Barefoot, just wasn't what I expected I guess I was thinking was what I had have this smart seed in it but you were talking about the actual label. My bad. :dizzy:

Only one small problem, its pretty darn pricey is it not? Out of my league at least for $60 per 20 Lb bag ;)

Yea I know what your thinking but at that price it will cost over $300 to reseed the lawn.

I'm going over buget as it is thinking about renting the power seeder.

· Registered
1,023 Posts
Basically there is all kinds of good quality seed. Rebel, rcreeches suggestion and tons of others. I go to the UK turf day every year and they even rank them. But the bottom line is mycorrhizae tilts the scales - WAY tilts the scales. Less water, better germination, better growth, more disease resistance, darker green, the list goes on and on. YOUR problem started with brown patch and fungus issues - your yard is bad - you are looking for help and advice - we give it - you are looking for the BEST alternative or BEST seed - we give our OPINIONS. We all have opinions on the best seed but WITH mycorrhizae this skews the game. Do you even know what myco does?? - most on this thread do not or they would invest in it too and will in time. I don't think you realize the power of this fungus. I'm spending thousands of dollars on this one product as an addition to my seeding business this year alone. Why because I have tested it and it works - in fact thousands have tested it and it works - why did Pennington invest in it?? You get what you pay for. What does it cost you an extra $50. Big deal. You are a home owner (don't do this for a living like most of us) and I think very wise in utilizing this site to get the best info available, so let me tell you a little secret - $300 for a yard your size is NOTHING - you turned down a free job??? You are talking in circles with no end. Hate to sound harsh but ....

So do what you need to do - I'm out!

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Basically there is all kinds of good quality seed. Rebel, rcreeches suggestion and tons of others. I go to the UK turf day every year and they even rank them. But the bottom line is mycorrhizae tilts the scales - WAY tilts the scales. Less water, better germination, better growth, more disease resistance, darker green, the list goes on and on. YOUR problem started with brown patch and fungus issues - your yard is bad - you are looking for help and advice - we give it - you are looking for the BEST alternative or BEST seed - we give our OPINIONS. We all have opinions on the best seed but WITH mycorrhizae this skews the game. Do you even know what myco does?? - most on this thread do not or they would invest in it too and will in time. I don't think you realize the power of this fungus. I'm spending thousands of dollars on this one product as an addition to my seeding business this year alone. Why because I have tested it and it works - in fact thousands have tested it and it works - why did Pennington invest in it?? You get what you pay for. What does it cost you an extra $50. Big deal. You are a home owner (don't do this for a living like most of us) and I think very wise in utilizing this site to get the best info available, so let me tell you a little secret - $300 for a yard your size is NOTHING - you turned down a free job??? You are talking in circles with no end. Hate to sound harsh but ....

So do what you need to do - I'm out!
OK ok, sorry for the confusion my fault. The brown patch is in the front yard, thats fixing to be remedied today by taking soil samples to Southern States and see exactly what it is and what to get to fix it before next year.

The seed I want is for my backyard which I have killed off with round-up, never had the brown patch in it because it was mostly weeds and I just want a better looking backyard now. Most of where this seed is going to go stays pretty moist most of the time anyways due to the garden being water or drain fields from septic. That being said, I also have this area to experiment with but lets say I wanna do it the best I can the first time but don't want to spend a fortune, hope that makes sense?

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK Barefoot
I went looking this evening for the Pennington smart seed and was going to get 1- 20Lb bag to experiment with BUT.....

ONE BIG PROBLEM :confused:

there's always one right?

We'll, the bag says for area's with 6 to 8 hours of sun and this backyard is full sun so in the summer itsfull sun all day so I backed out and didn't buy the seed before I asked if it would still work?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.