Where do you buy mulch (bulk or bag?)

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
When doing bulk mulch out of a trailer-

Trailer has to have a smooth wooden floor.
Next use an aluminum scoop shovel, not a pitch fork.
Never try to shovel off the top or middle of the pile, your shovel won't go into it.
Instead, slide shovel on the floor and ram it into the pile. The stuff from the top and middle will fall down. Shoveling like this is quite easy.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
The area originally was about 2” higher than the rest of the yard. I made it all the same level of the rest of the ground and dug a slight slope going into the trench border. The surrounding trench is about 2” deep, the beds have a nice looking gentle slope coming away from the house. I used a nylon rope I always carry tied on nails to outline the perimeter. I’m doing 3 circular beds for her this week and will use turf marking spray paint tied to a nail in the center to mark a perfect circle.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Another weed removal method is a small cultivator. I have a stihl kombi with most of the attachments. The cultivator tines rip weeds out and loosen soil up. This potential could be of help if soil needs to be removed and is hard packed.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
The area originally was about 2” higher than the rest of the yard. I made it all the same level of the rest of the ground and dug a slight slope going into the trench border. The surrounding trench is about 2” deep, the beds have a nice looking gentle slope coming away from the house. I used a nylon rope I always carry tied on nails to outline the perimeter. I’m doing 3 circular beds for her this week and will use turf marking spray paint tied to a nail in the center to mark a perfect circle.
I assume you are cutting in new beds with a shovel. I've found the bed redefiner attachment works well cutting them in as well. I too, spray paint new bed outlines as you described.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Ok so you did a cubic yard in half an hour. That’s right on my number of 2 yards an hour. Cool thanks

I guess mulch jobs is like mowing. You make more money doing smaller jobs.

The only problem with towing is it gets heavy fast
You make more money on bigger jobs if you price it right. I charge $110/ yard to deliver and install mulch. I can get it for $30/ yard. That gives me roughly $50-$65 depending if I pick it up or not. 2 yards/hr which I can do if it isn't going too far. That's $100/hr to cover my labor which is myself.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
I assume you are cutting in new beds with a shovel. I've found the bed redefiner attachment works well cutting them in as well. I too, spray paint new bed outlines as you described.
I just had the turf spray paint idea this morning strolling through Home Depot for some things. I have a tilling attachment and didn’t know if it was the right thing to do. I may get a redefiner if I keep getting these jobs.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
You make more money on bigger jobs if you price it right. I charge $110/ yard to deliver and install mulch. I can get it for $30/ yard. That gives me roughly $50-$65 depending if I pick it up or not. 2 yards/hr which I can do if it isn't going too far. That's $100/hr to cover my labor which is myself.
I’m guessing that price doesn’t include preparation such as what I had to do in the above example.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
These were new beds I cut in. The mulched area had previously been grass. I walked and spray painted the lines, curves just kinda flow where they seem right. Used redefiner to cut in.
Screenshot_20210331-130441_Message+.jpg

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
Another weed removal method is a small cultivator. I have a stihl kombi with most of the attachments. The cultivator tines rip weeds out and loosen soil up. This potential could be of help if soil needs to be removed and is hard packed.
Is there any synthetic material that would be like weed fabric but last much longer?

Top Forums