Where do you buy mulch (bulk or bag?)

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
These were new beds I cut in. The mulched area had previously been grass. I walked and spray painted the lines, curves just kinda flow where they seem right. Used redefiner to cut in. View attachment 438019
I think I will grow into being creative with things like this. I actually made the other bed by a wheelchair ramp angled slightly to flow with the rising of the ramp. So, not another perfect rectangle, looks really cool how it came out. I didn’t take a photo...

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I think I will grow into being creative with things like this. I actually made the other bed by a wheelchair ramp angled slightly to flow with the rising of the ramp. So, not another perfect rectangle, looks really cool how it came out. I didn’t take a photo...

Creative is definitely the right word. I have the natural ability wherein I can easily visualize the end result in my mind for any project. This is definitely helpful. Many people struggle with trying imagine how things will look.

I like curves so if able I'll generally design using them. Certainly there are many instances where this isn't feasible though.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Creative is definitely the right word. I have the natural ability wherein I can easily visualize the end result in my mind for any project. This is definitely helpful. Many people struggle with trying imagine how things will look.

I like curves so if able I'll generally design using them. Certainly there are many instances where this isn't feasible though.
I like curves that flow with the mowing pattern that allows the mower to just flow along the edge easily.

Mac Simone

LawnSite Member
I am learning about how to lay mulch and price it. Where do you buy your mulch for mulch jobs? Home Depot?

It's $1 per cubic foot of bagged mulch at my Home Depot:

And it's $360 per 5 cubic yards of mulch ($2.6 per cubic foot):

Granted the bulk mulch has delivery for free but still that is really expensive, right? Isn't bulk supposed to be the cheaper option? lol.

I watched a youtube video where someone said he charges $75 per yard plus labor. That seems like a pretty good (maybe a tad low) price point. But for a 5 cubic yard job, that's $375 plus like 25 an hour for labor which would come out to $125 in labor. Really I wouldn't be making any money if I paid $2.6 per cubic foot. But 5 yards of mulch weighs about 1800lbs which is a lot to put on a trailer and tow so delivery would really help. But there's no delivery available on that bagged mulch.
I just bought 130 bags 2cf each at HD for $1.80 a bag using my XPro discount.

Top Forums