Where do you store your equipment?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Sti2.5ldohc, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Sti2.5ldohc

Sti2.5ldohc LawnSite Member

Hello,

I’ve recently come under attack from a neighbor for having trailers at my house. The code enforcement has come out before and said they’re fine but the neighbor keeps calling them so they’re forcing me to remove them. A storage facility doesn’t seem like a great option to fetch trailers back and forth all the time. Eventually I will have to find some kind of commercial parking.

At what size can you afford a commercial property? Currently I’m grossing 200k.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

My stuff is in the garage but i have only one trailer which when viewed from the street is easily overlooked. My next door neighbor isn't living in his house at present so he has no objections. Full disclosure, so many homes in our subdivision have everything from piles of junk to unworking cars and boats on their driveways that they would be hard pressed to prove what is on my driveway is an eyesore worth protesting about.

The blessing and curse of living in the county with few restrictions or covenants.

Mr Stripe, hort101 and JLSLLC like this.
  3. prezek

prezek LawnSite Senior Member

I rent parking from a storage facility. I searched and found one that isn’t cramped. I’m able to work on trucks and mowers on the lot, and have a few 10x25 sheds there as well. Starting to get pricey so am currently seeking a lot to build my own shop but will probably stay put for another year. Lot is 24 hour access, cameras every where, so my stuff is fairly safe. We did about 400k this last year.

4. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

The zoning officer for my town said he had complaints of me running a business out of my house.(had to reply due to neighbors stirring the pot). Lots of contractors in my development. He didn't care one bit, said out of sight, is out of mind. So I've taken his advice and tightened the property up, installed a higher fence, and added some Leland cypress to camouflage anything you might look to see. Maybe this can help someone

DXN1EL, sjessen, kemco and 1 other person like this.
  5. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

Right now open trailer is small enough to fit in the garage. I also have a shed. When I get an enclosed, it will go in the driveway until I can widen the driveway, install higher fence panels, and park it on the side of the house behind the fence.

JLSLLC likes this.
  6. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had a run in with code myself. Although they wouldn't tell me which neighbor was complaining (I think I know anyway) they we're actually pretty cool about things once I explained my situation and told them I was working on getting things in order. I had a large nice enclosed trailer plus my open landscape trailer. Every night the open trailer was emptied and all equipment put in the garage. Well code reads you can only have one trailer in my area. Then they also dinged me on "parking on the grass" which in fact was an area that used to have gravel but over time had become more gravel and mud than gravel. But my truck was completely off of the street. So, even though I took a pic of literally 8 people on my street parking half on and half off the grass every day code said they didn't care because I was the one someone had complained about. Code reads you must park on a non grass or dusty surface. So I asked if gravel was ok they said yes so I put down 10 tons of fresh gravel, continue to park there and moved one of my trailers to storage. Still have 8 to 10 people on my street parking half on half off their grass yet code does nothing about that. Funny. I meant to add get a copy of the actual code because the first letter I received had accused me of a violation which was not code... I had to point that out to them. Then went on with my life. They also had said I couldn't park a work vehicle that was lettered in my driveway... Oh really? Ate you going to cite every trugreen, terminix, plumbers truck, etc in the city? If no then leave me alone. They did.

wishfull, JLSLLC and hort101 like this.
  7. Sti2.5ldohc

Yes I put down a lot of crush n run in my backyard to park the trailers on. Previously they said that was okay. If I put up a 6 ft fence you couldn’t tell I had a business. At the moment they won’t accept that as a solution. I actually hired a lawyer to help me out and see if I can get this resolved permanently this time.

JLSLLC likes this.
  8. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok I briefly talked to an attorney friend of mine about my situation when this all happened to me. He told me the main thing is they cannot discriminate against you as in picking you out of the crowd to go after if they are not doing it to others in your area.. yeah, just like I said they were not going after other people parking not to code but in my case I did what was asked and was actually the code and all has been fine since. If code enforcement is making stuff up on the fly you might want to get an attorney. That's what I was told was discrimination against you.

JLSLLC likes this.
  9. Sti2.5ldohc

They’re definitely picking me out of the crowd due to the complaint. 2 doors down a guy has a dump trailer front and center in his driveway. Another guy literally has a tractor trailer in his driveway with a huge ford logo on the trailer like nascar.

JLSLLC likes this.
  10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

One of the things that tweaks neighbors is having employee cars parked all over, even if on a driveway or street.

JLSLLC likes this.