Lawn Care Forum banner

Where has common sense gone???

11K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  aczlan 
#1 ·
So today we are doing spring clean up(late spring here in north central wi) at 2 properties accrost from the big insurance co. I'm running our Toro groundsmaster 345 with a 20 cu ft peco bagger right over the rear hood(3" clearance) thats a 50" wide box so no rear visibility, and it has a 10hp fan motor that blows the air right out the top edge of that box @ 220 mph. For that reason we have a 110db back up alarm. With the 72" dethatcher it takes a bit of space to turn around.
Im turning around by the intersection, light pole there means back up 3' and I move maybe 1 ft backwards and hear BANG on the aluminum box! Here it's 4 20 something women, right behind the Toro with their hair and dresses getting blown by the wind from the bagger, the bang was a purse hitting the box and 4 peaved girls screaming how I almost ran them over and when I pointed out the 3' wide by 1' tall "Stay back min 30 ft" in bright reflective red on the back of the box they left.
Are people so ignorant about whats going on around them or is it worse than that?

#27 ·
Most folks these day are living on auto pilot, little though goes into daily life. Yesterday morning I was sweeping a parking lot at 5 am ( normally I don't work Sundays) it is generally quite on a Sunday morning. I rolled ahead with my skid steer and put the whisker broom down shoulder check and a cars goes whizzing by no concern that I might not see them. I call them Zombies no brains.
noone is ever fully awake and aware at 5am. it's just not possible. :laugh:

#28 ·
I am a younger guy and I have have noticed that especially people my age are becoming more and more oblivious to what is going on around them. I feel it is a combination of parenting, technology, and schooling. Parents are raising kids by spoiling them, teaching them to be reliant on technology, and letting way to much off the hook. School is the exact same way. More and more classes are becoming online classes and more and more teachers/professors are not doing their job properly, and I can say this from experience because I am in college at the moment. Both school and parents in general (not all cases) have stopped teaching kids how to fix things, build things, and survive in general. They are teaching us to provide one service for an income and when something breaks pay someone else to fix it. I personally think that I myself would be better off if this was not the case and I would bet a lot of other people my age would agree.
(In short) Yes people are lacking common sense but it is because of influencing factors.
this is sorta forced on people these days to some extent as well. ever notice how hard it is just to do something simple like changing the oil on a newer car? many of them you need some special tool to get up in there to remove the oil filter or they make everything hard to get to and so forth. they want you to take it to get it worked on so they can make more money off of you. nevermind you just spent 20-30k on a new car they want your oil change money every 5k miles too. :laugh:

gone are the good ol days when you could do everything yourself because it was so easy. now days you need all these specialized tools and so forth to work on a car. mowers you can still do most of the work yourself but we'll see how long that lasts.

#29 ·
Common Sense left the USA in 08-12 election sorry to tell you that.

#31 ·
This reminds me of a time i went to eat lunch with my dad just a few month again. He runs a construction site and they were redoing an overhang on one of the entrances to a building. They had orange fence all the way around it except for about a 10 foot wide opening so they could get machinery in and out of. He had his truck parked in it at the time instead of the gate shut and on our 30-45 minutes lunch he had to yell at 7 workers to use the other door which was less then 20 yards away!?!?!?!?! are you kidding me. One guy wanted to argue it with him saying he could go in whatever door he wanted. My dad laughed and said ok bud but the scaffolding has brick layers on the top of it and when they are cutting they have a tendency to drop some stuff so if you are that dumb go ahead if one hits you it will only help this world. He walked away in a hurry to the other door.

#33 ·
this is sorta forced on people these days to some extent as well. ever notice how hard it is just to do something simple like changing the oil on a newer car? many of them you need some special tool to get up in there to remove the oil filter or they make everything hard to get to and so forth. they want you to take it to get it worked on so they can make more money off of you. nevermind you just spent 20-30k on a new car they want your oil change money every 5k miles too. :laugh:

gone are the good ol days when you could do everything yourself because it was so easy. now days you need all these specialized tools and so forth to work on a car. mowers you can still do most of the work yourself but we'll see how long that lasts.
I agree, my dad is a mechanic (not for a shop, he had worked from home for most of his life) and even he has to tell customers sometimes that he will recommend a shop because he does not have a tool. Also sometimes the job is complex they would be better off taking it there. By that I mean some companies make it so the dealers mechanics are the only ones who know how to work on it. That is not common but it does happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.